Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Dogs attacked by Postman

My garden goes right the way round the house. Me and the dogs were in the back garden, and who should walk round the corner, but the postman.

Both Dogs went running up to him barking. None of them jumped up.

The Postman started shouting at the dogs (neither of them listening to him). He then proceeded to hit the Molly with his postbag, and at the same time trying to kick Mindy. Both of whom were still barking at him.

I then shouted over the racket for him to stand still and the dogs will not touch him. I then recalled the dogs, they immediately shut up and came back. They immediately walked back into the house via the back door.

My first reaction to him was to call him a Pillock. I was so angry that he had hit and kicked my dogs, I almost punched him in the face.

He actually had a parcel for me, and because I was in the back garden, didn't hear him knocking at the front door. He was round there to put the parcel in a safe place.

My dad lives next door, and saw what had happened through his window, and shouted at me for letting it happen in the first place !! He said that the postman will probably put a complaint in about my dogs.

I am still shaking with anger. Firstly for the postman trying to hurt my dogs, and Secondly because my dad shouted at me.

I have rang the customer service department, and the very nice lady said that he should not have behaved in this manner and I would receive written correspondence early next week after they have spoken to the said member of staff.

I fully understand that postmen must be very defensive of dogs, but they were in the garden with me. They were not on their own and he didn't give me chance to sort out the fracas before he waded in with both feet!!

Thankyou - Sorry for ranting
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Currently I don't think there is really anything he can do by law if it happened on your land anyway (it's being appealed I think, for situations like postmen & resident dog attacks, but don't think it's in force in England), as the dangerous dogs act only covers public spaces. Hopefully it's scared him into being a bit more careful, though I would perhaps put a bolt or padlock on the gate so it can't happen again (not only is it a risk to people, but also if he hadn't shut the gate properly behind him then your dogs are at risk of getting loose). Hope your dogs are OK after the palava!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 02:58 PM
The garden gate is about half an acre to the house. He had walked a fair distance to the back of our house from the road.

I really hope I don't get any repercussions from this. My only saving grace is that the dogs were only barking at him. They didn't jump up or go for him at all. Just his postbag whilst he was trying to hit Molly

The woman on the phone was actually most apologetic, and asked if the dogs were hurt at all
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
My garden goes right the way round the house. Me and the dogs were in the back garden, and who should walk round the corner, but the postman.

Both Dogs went running up to him barking. None of them jumped up.

The Postman started shouting at the dogs (neither of them listening to him). He then proceeded to hit the Molly with his postbag, and at the same time trying to kick Mindy. Both of whom were still barking at him.

I then shouted over the racket for him to stand still and the dogs will not touch him. I then recalled the dogs, they immediately shut up and came back. They immediately walked back into the house via the back door.

My first reaction to him was to call him a Pillock. I was so angry that he had hit and kicked my dogs, I almost punched him in the face.

He actually had a parcel for me, and because I was in the back garden, didn't hear him knocking at the front door. He was round there to put the parcel in a safe place.

My dad lives next door, and saw what had happened through his window, and shouted at me for letting it happen in the first place !! He said that the postman will probably put a complaint in about my dogs.

I am still shaking with anger. Firstly for the postman trying to hurt my dogs, and Secondly because my dad shouted at me.

I have rang the customer service department, and the very nice lady said that he should not have behaved in this manner and I would receive written correspondence early next week after they have spoken to the said member of staff.

I fully understand that postmen must be very defensive of dogs, but they were in the garden with me. They were not on their own and he didn't give me chance to sort out the fracas before he waded in with both feet!!

Thankyou - Sorry for ranting
The postman entered your property and the dogs were defending their territory. Normal dog behaviour!! He should not have hit your dogs the idiot.

I was on the field a couple of weeks back and a guy with his postman uniform on seen one of my dogs (AB) on the field. Buster was doing nothing wrong didn’t even go near him and the guy picked up a stick and started waving it around in a threatening manner towards Buster. Buster been the protective dog he is, ran over to him and started barking and growling, so I called him back, put him his lead and walked over to this guy and asked what he thought he was doing. He said I thought you dog might run over and attack me because of his size. I just said if you had hit my dog with that stick you would have got a whack back off me and a bite off the dog. Some people hey!

Hope you get an apology.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Buster started shouting at your Postman? Lets hope he doesn't forget the uniform

I am sure that its the bright yellow jacket and bag that Molly and Mindy don't like. I thought it was because my postman only ever brings bills !!!!
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Very worrying I'm sure but postmen should be prepared for this sort of thing given the circumstances that you described !

Your Dad is probably worried about the repercussions and I hope that there are none !