Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lepto is more to do with rats
It may be that this is a problem in our area, but when we discussed with our vet the issues surrounding discontinuation of Hal's booster vaccines each year, she told us that the two biggest risks of not vaccinating for us here in Northamptonshire were Leptospiros and TB, both of which could be contracted from wild foxes.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Exactly, and as they are everywhere not just the country, then vaccinations against is necessary.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Exactly, and as they are everywhere not just the country, then vaccinations against is necessary.
That's what our vet said Jackbox. However, we discussed with her the if's, and's and but's of Hal contracting either Lepto or TB, and although very unpleasant for the dog, and expensive for us (we do have veterinary insurance, but I am not sure whether you are covered for those diseases which are preventable with vaccination), were not life-threatening for a healthy dog. Taking into consideration that Hal was a "northern breed", including husky, mixed with his recent extra dollop of wolf, anaphylactic shock was a far greater risk than that of him contracting lepto or TB, so the 3 of us concluded that the safest thing to do was to vaccinate for the first 3 years and then call it a day. Which is exactly what we did, and despite the fact that we live deep in the countryside where foxes and badgers are, thankfully, plentiful, to the point where foxes in particular are regular visitors to our garden, Hal never picked up any disease.

Tai has had his annual vaccinations up until when we took him on at aged 5, and we shall not be vaccinating him again.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Oh dear. I am really sorry, I didn't realise so many people were posting on this. I wrote to a retired veterinary friend and asked him what he thought and this was his reply:-

A controversial subject !!!!
In my early days an EPIVAX injection at 8 weeks and a repeat at 12 weeks was all a dog received. Then the very odd dog--and I mean very odd dog developed distemper.
Then it was decided to give boosters every year--a nice little money earner !!
Recently American vets decided every 3 years was satisfactory--we still have not moved on.
If I had a dog / cat now I would vaccinate it as a puppy / kitten at approx 10-12 weeks--2 doses a fortnight at least apart. Repeat next year, then go onto every 3 years till 8 or 9 then stop.
A lot depends on environment. If animals have contact with other animals they help to improve immunity.
Hope this helps but nothing is perfect. I once saw a dog from the Scottish Highlands ( 15 years of age ) develop distemper/ hardpad.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Interesting to hear that from someone who doesn't have any monetary interest. I do wish they'd sort this out.
Does anyone know if insurance becomes invalid if they don't have yearly vaccs? Sorry if someone's already said!
When we took 2 of ours for boosters the other day...our locum vet said that leptospirosis is the one that they definitely do need each year. There are numerous rats along the prom at night where I walk my dogs so I thought it sensible to keep vaccinating them.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Interesting to hear that from someone who doesn't have any monetary interest. I do wish they'd sort this out.
Does anyone know if insurance becomes invalid if they don't have yearly vaccs? Sorry if someone's already said!
When we took 2 of ours for boosters the other day...our locum vet said that leptospirosis is the one that they definitely do need each year. There are numerous rats along the prom at night where I walk my dogs so I thought it sensible to keep vaccinating them.
It's a real problem to decide. Add I am sure the insurance would take the opportunity to back out of paying up. After all, they are going to follow a vet's advice. And the vets have a vested interest, eh!
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I think I ought to add that this retired Vet has my dog's best interest at heart as I adopted a dog he had taken off the streets in Turkey. This man is a big softie and cried when we gave her a home. So he isn't going to say these things lightly.
Little Blue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Our GSD is 12 years old and he hasn't been vaccinated since he was about 3.

He is insured with Pet Plan and I have a clause written into his policy which states that say if he comes down with something he should have been vaccinated against he will not be covered for that condition.

Suits me just fine.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4