Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rapporman
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Dog Rolling

Our 8 year old Westie has suddenly started rolling every time we take him out for a walk, although he has rarely done so in the past. We vary the open spaces we take him to but this doesn't seem to make any difference - he still wants to have at least one good roll and its always in a grassy location which most of our recs are. Sometimes its just in grass, others it's foxes poo or similar and stinks and we just cannot think of a reason why he should suddenly want to start rolling despite our efforts to stop him doing it - the crafty little fellow hangs back until we are some distance away before he does it.

On the odd occasion he might have rolled in the past he receives a good telling off and you can tell from his demeanour that he knows he shouldn't be doing it. However, despite what other owners say about it being "natural", we think it is a dirty habit and would like to break him of it before it gets into a regular thing.

Can anyone suggest why he would suddenly want to roll every time time we take him out now - it started about a fortnight ago. Is it the time of the year or what? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 05:45 PM
One of my dogs loves a good roll but he rarely rolls in smelly stuff (thats Jed's speciality). He can be running and suddenly throw himself to the ground and start rolling around with sheer pleasure.

Has your dog had a bath recently? Could there be a bitch on heat anywhere? (I think i'm correct in thinking dogs can roll to increase their scent and attractiveness).
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Rapporman View Post
Our 8 year old Westie has suddenly started rolling every time we take him out for a walk, although he has rarely done so in the past. We vary the open spaces we take him to but this doesn't seem to make any difference - he still wants to have at least one good roll and its always in a grassy location which most of our recs are. Sometimes its just in grass, others it's foxes poo or similar and stinks and we just cannot think of a reason why he should suddenly want to start rolling despite our efforts to stop him doing it - the crafty little fellow hangs back until we are some distance away before he does it.

On the odd occasion he might have rolled in the past he receives a good telling off and you can tell from his demeanour that he knows he shouldn't be doing it. However, despite what other owners say about it being "natural", we think it is a dirty habit and would like to break him of it before it gets into a regular thing.

Can anyone suggest why he would suddenly want to roll every time time we take him out now - it started about a fortnight ago. Is it the time of the year or what? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Could be the heating season has dried his skin and he is scratching an itch. Maybe if he wants to roll, he thing it may as well be in something that stinks.

You are still feeding the the same brand of food? Unfortunately even the better companies sometimes make unannounced changes.

Never hurts to ask the vet about behavior changes in older dogs. Usually their personalities are fairly stable after they are 3 years old.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Westies are prone to itchy skin - it could be the mud is cooling him?
Or he could just be enjoying it.......
Rapporman
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you all for your comments. However, I don't think it is anything to do with an itchy skin, as he only seems to suffer this when it is really hot and in any case he does not roll in the summer months. Nor has he any contact with a particular bitch. He is perfectly healthy and acts no different to all other times. He does not just roll anywhere like a lot of dogs do but seems to lock on to a particular smell and rolls in it and you can tell that he absolutely revels in it, so I am still open to suggestions. I was hoping that others may have noticed their dogs rolling more than usual at this time of the year and may have the answer.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Don't discount Leanne's idea of a bitch in heat. It could be one miles up wind. could be the same one every year.
Rapporman
New Member!
Male 

15-12-2009, 11:46 AM
You could be right Labman but as far as I know he has not taken a fancy to any bitches but you may well be right, although I take him to four different park areas and he will roll in each of them

As no-one seems to have noticed the same problem with their dogs, it may well be that all the suggestions so far have a bearing on it. Hopefully, he will grow out of it with a bit more telling off!!!