Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:16 AM

First season ... help

I've noticed Gypsy was cleaning herself more these last few days and last night I noticed blood on her back paw , so I checked and her 'bits' are all red and swollen ... and this morning Teddy was trying to mount her (with Gypsy snapping and snarling at him when he tried)
Teddy has been neutered so I dunno whats going on there ... Toffee has had a sniff but other than that really isnt interested (he's neutered too)

Obviously im going to keep Teddy and Toffee separate from her if they wont leave her alone , and I will start taking her for walks late at night/really early morning by herself so she doesnt cause distress to the intact males we normally meet

what else should I be doing ?
How long does a bitches season last for roughly ?
and I def want to get her spayed once her season is over , so how long should I wait before ringing the vet and arranging this ?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Her season will be around three weeks, but keep her safe for four just in case, and you could have her spayed about 8 weeks after her season once her hormones have settled.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Firstly, do you know how long ago Teddy was neutered? If only shortly before you brought him home, I'd definitely keep him seperate from Gypsy at all times because there is a slight chance that if the op was fairly recent, he could still sire a litter (same applies to Toffee).

Seasons normally last about 4 weeks, but the bitch isn't usually interested in mating (nor 'ready') for the whole of that period. The timing and period of the 'danger time' depends on the bitch - I think it tends to be 2nd/3rd week, but someone else will be able to confirm.

Don't imagine for a minute that you only have to watch the boys. When Gyspy is ready, she is likely to become a complete tart and try anything and everything to get to a male. Although I appreciate that it will be really difficult, personally I wouldn't let her off the lead when walking her.

The best time to get her spayed is 3 months from her season - if you speak to your vet now, they can confirm.

Good luck - you're going to find the next month very trying I'm afraid!