View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Calling horsey peeps...best home made fly repellent??!:-)

What is the best fly repellent ingrediants if i Do it myself?

Citronella and.....what else? They are so expensive ready made and i remember making one a long while back, it worked a treat but cant remember what I put in it or what quantities!

thanks in advance xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I always used Avon skin soft woodland fresh (I think was the fragrance) dry oil spray on mine. Worked a treat and horses smelt lovely too.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I used make a spray of citronella, lavender and tea tree oil.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys! Wil def do citronella

Can you use vinegar? Or do flies like that?!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't remember either, but citronella and what tawnewolf said, and I seem to remember vinegar too??? If not, just water maybe to dilute? Having said that, no matter what fly repellents I used to put on mine, the flies would swarm around us both!!! The best thing I found was a fly sheet, they're made of mesh and fit like a rug and you can even get hoods and face masks to go with them! My horse felt a bit stupid in it, but at least it kept those awful Mayflies away from him which used to send him nuts early morning and evening at THIS very time of year! Good luck with the concoction whatever you use!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2009, 01:40 PM
You can put vinegar in as well, I know flies hate vinegar because if you use it when you clean your windows it keeps flies away in the summer. I used to dilute the whole lot with water and give her a good spray as often as possible.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I can't remember either, but citronella and what tawnewolf said, and I seem to remember vinegar too??? If not, just water maybe to dilute? Having said that, no matter what fly repellents I used to put on mine, the flies would swarm around us both!!! The best thing I found was a fly sheet, they're made of mesh and fit like a rug and you can even get hoods and face masks to go with them! My horse felt a bit stupid in it, but at least it kept those awful Mayflies away from him which used to send him nuts early morning and evening at THIS very time of year! Good luck with the concoction whatever you use!
My horse has a fly rug on which is great but he lives out at mo and dont want to leave a mask on him at night. The flies are worst at dawn and dusk arent they so the mask would only be on between these times if you see what i mean!!!
cheers helena x
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You can put vinegar in as well, I know flies hate vinegar because if you use it when you clean your windows it keeps flies away in the summer. I used to dilute the whole lot with water and give her a good spray as often as possible.
Cool thanks. I am gonna do a few drops of citronella, vinegar and dilute with water....and maybe a drop of tea tree!!
thanks
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 08:18 PM
We were told of a recipe including citronella, cold tea, washing up liquid and something else! It was years ago, it worked for a short while after you applied it, but not for very long. I use deosect fly repellant now, it's quite expensive, but you dilute it with water and it really works well.