Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Brillant disscusion by all sides.

Only fault I found that was wrong but might have misread it was by I-mac-77.

Unlincesed tracks(flaps) are not illeagle and still race, about 20 left.

Hopefully as long as Lord Longford does not get his way the Welfare in 2009 will become independent of the controlling body of the NGRC/bgrb and by me would be wellcomed.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 05:29 PM
i dont believe it should be banned. that would make things a lot worse by pushing it underground.

my aunt used to race greyhounds, they were in top condition and well looked after. when they were retired they came into the house and took over

i never witnessed any cruelty at any track i went to. the dogs wanted to run and enjoyed it.

yes, more controls need to be brought in regarding the breeding and wefare but it goes back to who would enforce them, the rspca, vets who!!!

any sport involving animals will have its negative sides regardless of how rich the sport is, its just human nature to exploit but as much a we complain it will never be perfect. we cant even look after our own species let alone an animal.

the media will always latch on to the negatives, look what they're doing for other breeds.

i would like people involved with greys to do more of a positive side to them rather than the negative. i never see greyhound pups for sale, why is this?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just a quick nip back in (you know why Dawn ) no couldnt trace them her tats have been scrubbed and the closests we can get to them is a brown dog - ermmm not the thing on its back one of the sofa then
Well the offer stands, if anyone can prove who owned the ex-racer greys and prove that their owners discarded them, or they were badly treated, or the owners refused to make any provision for them, I will gladly name and shame them on my website for all to see.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post

Why have you transported dogs in bad conditions?
Spot refers there to transporting dogs, [ which are often in bad condition ], to rescue`s and to fosterers.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Iain
Dare I say, I think you are slightly naïve in your understanding of the greyhound racing industry.
I wont quote media hype, I will quote in most cases the racing industry.
I don’t need to go to a race track to see greyhounds enjoying themselves, I’d rather watch mine run around where they want for as long as they want.
What I would like to see, is the kennels they are kept in which are hidden away from the public.
You think there is too much over breeding?
I’ll PM you with a link to a statement whereby an industry stakeholder states that the Irish transporters are doubling up on the transportation of greyhounds, this was well after the APGAW report recommended a decrease in greyhounds coming from Ireland.
Did you know that the Irish farmers receive EU funding to breed greyhounds for the UK racing industry?
Did you know that for every greyhound that makes it to the track, another greyhound puppy is culled, because it wont perform or chase or because it is so inter bred it is born with a deformity?
If so many people love these dogs and love seeing them at their best……….
Why do they risk the greyhounds very lives by training them to run tight bends at 40mph, risking injury which can prove sometimes fatal?
You wouldn’t do that to something you loved would you?
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Brillant disscusion by all sides.

Only fault I found that was wrong but might have misread it was by I-mac-77.

Unlincesed tracks(flaps) are not illeagle and still race, about 20 left.

Hopefully as long as Lord Longford does not get his way the Welfare in 2009 will become independent of the controlling body of the NGRC/bgrb and by me would be wellcomed.

The flapping tracks that exist still are now licensed! But just not under NGRC guidelines, but still ahve to meet minimum standards to get a license, which includes having a vet on call!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Iain
Dare I say, I think you are slightly naïve in your understanding of the greyhound racing industry.
I am definately not naive, I am only commenting from the experiences I have had, and not all of it has been good!

And yes there is far too much breeding of greyhounds, and in my opinion too many Irish ones. Control needs to be made!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Did you know that for every greyhound that makes it to the track, another greyhound puppy is culled, because it wont perform or chase or because it is so inter bred it is born with a deformity?
Where did you get that statistic from, as I have heard something similar but that takes into dogs from spain and america too!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Thank you, it is appreciated! I was pretty certain I wasn't alone

I get fed up of everyone criticising racing, based on media hype! I would be quite happy for someone to give examples of the atrocities they have personally witnessed, or some of the cruelty!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3083161.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3210234.stm

Warning - the link below contains extremely distressing pictures

http://www.greyhoundaction.org.uk/imain.html
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3083161.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3210234.stm

Warning - the link below contains extremely distressing pictures

http://www.greyhoundaction.org.uk/imain.html
My request was examples of things they have personally seen not media stories!
Page 6 of 157 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 106 > Last »