Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm going to stick my oar in now.

1. You re-homed the two Labs because they chewed everything.

I was lucky with my Lab because he only ever chewed a tiny bit of carpet at the back door, about an inch, never anything else, my late hubby worked from home, so my Lab was never on his own, but we spent a certain amount of time each day actually teaching him and playing with him.

So it's not a foregone conclusion that ALL Labs destroy things.

2. Quote:
" I know its a fashion thing with the tail docking, but I prefer rottweilers that are docked, I think they look better. I know it sounds a bit nasty, but its only once that they go through that pain. I suppose its because I've only ever known rottweilers without a tail".

Why on EARTH are you fussed about tails ? What's so wrong about a Rottie with a tail ? It was born with it, so why should it be cut off ?

I can't believe you've said "it's only once that they go through that pain" why should they go through it at all ?

That is so selfish, how would you like your ears cut off ?

3. Finally and you're probably going to get cross about this too, when I read this bit :
"Anytime I ever decide to do something and go for advice before hand, everyone tells me its a bad idea, and not to do it...when they already have things like more than one dog themselves. Why shouldn't I want a dog.
I'm always being told not to have or do something".

I'm not being horrible, but I must say that it seems to me that you are one of these people who dive headlong into things with thinking.

The reason you're always being told not to do things, is probably because those that tell you, are wiser than you and more mature than you and can see the trouble looming ahead.

Reading through your posts, I got a picture in my mind's eye of you holding your breath, like kids do and stamping your feet and saying "why can't I have a dog, I want one, I want one"

I'm sorry to be brutal, but I've had to voice my thoughts.

I think that the reason your Labs chewed etc. is because as you have small children, you just didn't have the time to spend with them in the first place, be honest with yourself, look back and think, although you were with them all day, did you give them even an hour's quality time daily, playing with them, training them?

If you did, then I apologise.

Reagrding the Rotties, you aunt had one, your aunt is not you.

If you couldn't manage the Labs, then you won't manage a Rottie.

I am expecting to be told off about this post, either by you or the mods, but it's not meant to be "have a crack at Lisa", it's meant to point out how it looks from another person's point of view.

Honesty is always the best policy and the truth does hurt.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Radar ears: what are you talking about?? my dogs never chewed during the day or when i left the house. It was when i was in bed. Yes i have two children, that go to creche. I also have a husband that helped with them. The dogs had plenty of play time thank you, and we walked for quite a bit sometimes and still had a lot of energy.
You can think of me however you like. (STAMPING MY FEET!) I am getting sick of people telling me what to do, i even had friends telling me not to get married!! or have kids!! maybe i shouldnt bother doing anything in life.
My point is, i came on here asking the following question "how long does it take to rehome a dog from the rescue centre" (not sure if thats exactly what i said word to word, but thats what i were asking) So why have i got you lot on my case telling me what i did wrong with my dogs, and that i shouldnt bother with another??
IVE ALREADY SAID IM NOT GETTING ANOTHER DOG JUST YET.
If you dont want to believe me when i say what my dogs did thats down to you, not me. I dont need to lie.
So what if i prefer a dogs tail docked. Babies go through the same thing with being circumisized, do you tell the doctors not to do that??
I could handle the labs thank you, and i took them for long walks...my kids have nap time for over an hour..i played with them most of the time because im home all the time doing nothing. The only thing i couldnt control was them destroying things while i were asleep in the middle of the night..i would wake up at 5am to my house tipped upside down. Or to the fact my husband forgot to lock the back door, and they had dug through two fences and destroyed everything in a neighbours shed.
They only did this when i was in bed asleep!! It doesnt make sense. Still unfortunatly they have put me off labs. I loved them to bits, but how much more damage did i need to go through before having to give them up? I had a notice come through the door, stating i had to get rid of one of the labs, and if anyone else reported anything from them we would have to move.
My point is i tried, until i got told to get rid of one or both of them..i kept one which was a hard thing to do...but then she did the same destroyed my other sofa completely (no one could sit on it) and she got under two fences again and destroyed everything in my neighbours garden and dug a whole, right before they had to move.
Sorry if im getting annoyed while writing this im not meaning to, ive gone through a lot with these labs.
My husky never destroyed anything, and she had lived outside up until i bought her, i had a hard time getting her to come into the house. So a dog that has never been in a house doesnt destroy it, yet a lab that has been born and raised in a house destroyes everything. It is not normal to me.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I know they destroyed things whilst you were asleep, I'm talking about the training issues during the day.

I know you said you're not getting another dog yet, there's no need to shout.

I knew you'd get cross, I've just said what many others have said and many are probably thinking.

This thread is not going to turn into a slanging match, so I'm off now anyway, got things to do.
TR7_Ally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm not going to judge either side here if I can help it. I can see how frustrating it can be when your labs chewed things - we used to have them when I was little and they can destroy things so easily

I know how you feel about wanting a dog and also not liking to be told that you can't do something. The same thing happens to me all the time, I'm terribly impatient I'd dearly love to adopt a rescue dog and I feel that we have a stable home and enough time to devote to it. But, my OH is nervous of dogs and doesn't agree, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog to only be wanted and loved by one person out of the household. Also, it wouldn't be fair on my OH to force him to live with a dog before he feels he is ready to.

Basically, I sympathise with the feeling of frustration but I definitely think you're doing the right thing in choosing not to adopt a dog yet. We both MUST think of the dog first in this sort of situation every time. Stay strong and wait for now -and best of luck in the future when it is the right time for you to have another dog.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by jade&sky View Post
Sorry if im getting annoyed while writing this im not meaning to, ive gone through a lot with these labs.
My husky never destroyed anything, and she had lived outside up until i bought her, i had a hard time getting her to come into the house. So a dog that has never been in a house doesnt destroy it, yet a lab that has been born and raised in a house destroyes everything. It is not normal to me.
There is little point in blaming the breed you had - all dogs are different and none of them are going to act exactly the same are they.

Also I note from your profile that you are only 22 - so did you bring the husky up from puppyhood did you ?

You took on the labs from 10 weeks old and rehomed them at their teenage stage of what 9/10 months old. I honestly dont know what you expected of two puppies - they love trouble just like toddlers and teenagers and that is what you get with puppies. You dont seem to take on any responsibility of what happened with ur labs - you dont seem to want to accept that it could well have been a lack of training on your part that created / didnt help the situation. You seem to want everyone to say - "oh yes we think its a fantastic idea for you to get another dog" - we are a dog loving site and it wont happen - you cant expect us to just agree with you.

I ahgree with Radar you seem immature and you want a dog for the wrong reasons, I waited my whole childhood and then 3 years after moving out before I took on my dog and even then its a huge responsibility, I am about to have a baby and am worried about how everyone will get on etc etc - I would have loved to get a puppy as a playmate for my dog as he doesnt get on well with alot of other dogs, but I was about to start building an extension, was pregnant and didnt want all the stress of a new puppy or the fact that it wouldnt be safe for it whilst our building work was being done - that is what responsibility and maturity is all about.

Yet you are actively looking for a dog, when firstly you know you are going to be leaving the country for a whole new house / life shortly.
secondly : you have rehomed 2 young dogs already
thirdly: you firstly state you want an adult dog as will be "easier"
fourth: you then state a couple of threads later you are thinking about a rottie pup

Come on - look at it from our point of view - we dont know you - we go by your posts and i went back to all the posts you made initially when you got your labs and all the fantastic advice you were given and yet you still ended up 8 months later rehoming them both. You appear to not like advice at all - yet ask for it - and then throw it back at people who are trying to help you see sense.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by jade&sky View Post
I am getting sick of people telling me what to do, i even had friends telling me not to get married!! or have kids!! maybe i shouldnt bother doing anything in life.
My point is, i came on here asking the following question "how long does it take to rehome a dog from the rescue centre" (not sure if thats exactly what i said word to word, but thats what i were asking) So why have i got you lot on my case telling me what i did wrong with my dogs, and that i shouldnt bother with another??
IVE ALREADY SAID IM NOT GETTING ANOTHER DOG JUST YET.
Hi Lisa
Please don't take offence at the well meant advice given to you here . You posted for advice on acquiring a rescue dog and it would be unrealistic to think people would not remember the previous events concerning Jade and Sky.

I well remember the puppies and was very sad when you decided to give them up . I am not judging you or telling you what to do, but I would not advise you to get another dog at the moment.

I note you gave decided not to go ahead anway and well done for thinking about it and coming to this decision.
I wish you well in your new home Lisa .
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4