View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Update On Harvey And Peeing Advice Needed (submissive urination + recall advice?)

Hi

I was first on here a couple fo months ago when we got our dog harvey,. he was 3y/o and having a hard time being left alone at night and peeing a lot (not where we want him to)

Now he has stopped crying at night (a decen night sleep at last) and he is getting more obedient and knows his name which is great. he goes into the garage during the day obediently now (instead of peeing on us when we told him to). wwe have now fenced off our back garden so no need for him to be in garage now.

We recently got him neutered and he didnt talk to us for a day but has got back to normal now. The only thing is , is that now when he sees us (when we come back from work) he gets excited and pees in the house! he never used to do this. any idea how we can stop it?

Also he is a very bad walker, we havent let him off the lead now as whenever he gets the chance he bolts even when you clal him and he nearly got hit by a car when he escaped out the front door one day. until we get him to dog training schoo l, would you advise an extendeable lead and if so, which woudl be suitable for him he is 28kg and very very strong, all the ones i see are for 10kg dogs.

any advice appreciated.

thanks
roxanne
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Apologies that your post seems to have been overlooked

With the weeing when you come home this is probably what is termed 'submissive urination'. It is totally involuntary and, as he cannot help it, never reprimand him. The best way is to ignore him when you come in. Don't speak to him, look at him, or touch him. Sounds harsh but this will give him a chance to calm down a bit. Do whatever you normally do - make a drink, put shopping away, get changed, etc. When Harvey is calm call him to you and greet him.

Never let your dog off lead if his recall is not reliable. This Dogsey article will help you build a solid foundation for a good recall: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8049
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:34 PM
hi Roxanne

I use a 30ft training lead for my pup - who is nearly 30kg. I have to wind it in and I feel more confident using this than a retractable one. I do know my sister uses the retractable types for her dogs - one of which is 35kg - I think she got them off the internet.
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks For Your Advice Everyone