Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
On the point of people contacting "authority" may I just clear something up once and for all. (Husband is an ex Plod and several of our friends are also Plods, so this is currently as things stand):-

Cats are classed as Wild animals due to many of them roaming freely wherever, and whenever they please. This means that nobody is obliged to report any unfortunate running over of a cat in a car (although most people would do their best to find the owner I think) - nobody is obliged to report their dog attacking a cat in the dog's garden, etc. etc. It also works the other way in that cat owners cannot be reported or held responsible for what their cat does when away from home. (Just imagine the mountains of paperwork for the police if this was not the case, given the dreadful toll on the roads on a weekly basis). The only time that a cat owner will gain the interest of the Authorities - RSPCA and possibly Police - is if there is concrete proof of genuine deliberate cruelty being inflicted on the cat, i.e. if someone set their dog on it rather than it being an unfortunate accident.

Thanks for that Bitkin. I used to work for our local police, and learned that cats are classfied as wild animals - to the point that if you swerve to avoid one running across the road and in the process cause an accident, YOU are liable. Apparently, you are not allowed to take evasive action to avoid a cat, but dogs are rated as being more important and you are allowed to swerve or brake for them! I brake for butterflies if there's no-one behind me, so certainly would do everything I could to avoid a moggy. Having killed one once, through no fault of my own, many years ago, it is not an experience I would want to repeat.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Nothing new for me, I can get lost walking down a straight corridor
Glad I'm in good company then!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
On the point of people contacting "authority" may I just clear something up once and for all. (Husband is an ex Plod and several of our friends are also Plods, so this is currently as things stand):-

Cats are classed as Wild animals due to many of them roaming freely wherever, and whenever they please. This means that nobody is obliged to report any unfortunate running over of a cat in a car (although most people would do their best to find the owner I think) - nobody is obliged to report their dog attacking a cat in the dog's garden, etc. etc. It also works the other way in that cat owners cannot be reported or held responsible for what their cat does when away from home. (Just imagine the mountains of paperwork for the police if this was not the case, given the dreadful toll on the roads on a weekly basis). The only time that a cat owner will gain the interest of the Authorities - RSPCA and possibly Police - is if there is concrete proof of genuine deliberate cruelty being inflicted on the cat, i.e. if someone set their dog on it rather than it being an unfortunate accident.
As i have now found my original
Post near the beginning of the thread, I can see i have typed that i would have reported it to the "dog warden" - misquote on my part in subsequent
posts regarding the use of the word "authorities".
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Really really good post lozzi, really balanced & well thought out!

Fab!
Thanks Mish was worried i had rambled a bit
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Totally agree---if the cat is in the dogs garden then it is really just very unfortunate. It is also the reason I would NEVER encourage my dogs to kill anything.

If the dogs were in the garden of the cat I would be livid if I was the cats owner.

rune
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
"Unfortunate" the cat minding its own business crossing a garden is viciously mauled & killed by an out of control dog.

Do you have a cat?
I think this is where the cat in a garden came in - also on page 15

With regard to it not being taken seriously. Any pet animal that attacks another irrespective of where it is or whose property its on, is considered an offence

There was the case of a Bullterrier kept outside while the owners were at work. The dog attacked & killed a domestic cat. Neighbours saw the dog dragging the body round the garden & reported it to relevant authorities.

As it turned out the cat was a stray - owners left it behind when they moved & neighbours had been feeding it. As there was no owner it was decided no further action would be taken.

The dog owner was visited and informed they had to keep the dog under control at all times.
And above about authorities and the law and a dog being on its own property.

Ive found my original post and I DID NOT say anything about cats being in dogs gardens - its on page 15 at the end of the post - quote as below

Pg 15

If a neighbours dog killed one of our cats i would be absolutely furious. I would report that dog to the dog warden as being dangerously out of control -
To be honest VB you could of just answered the question about 5 pages ago that either you would or wouldnt it wasnt a leading question just one I was interested in given your previlous statements. That was al.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I accept your point & accept i misquoted myself & realise i should have said it was a hypothetical question - our kittens are house cats - our eldest has a *problem with Vaccs so no use in getting him used to going outside if he cant have Vaccs, vets going to try splitting the vaccine this year so that his system isnt flooded with a large dose all at once, its very risky when they go into anaphylactic shock (& hortific to witness) & apparently gets worse each year, not better *as they get older - wouldnt be fair (we dont think so anyway) to Let him out & then having to stop him going out - our youngest ran as a stray & its not so easy for her being a house cat, however shes very young & should adapt.

As to your question, well i have thought about it, to begin with how would i know if the cat went into a strange garden & was killed, how would they know who to contact, i have heard they can go far enough afield. Only way to identify ours would be to scan for a microchip & average person might not do that. I bought quick release collars for them & twice the kittens got caught up in the house & nearly strangled as the catch didnt work & had to be cut off. If it hadnt been for Katie (Boxer) the kitten the 2nd time wouldnt be here. Cats & collars dont always go

So the answer to your question is, i dont know *& i hope something like that never happens. The odds are you would never find out what happened to your cat anyway. Apparently there are so many that go missing never to be heard of again If the average person found a dead cat in their garden what would they do - most would just dispose of it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

You did!! But it was good, positive ramble, very interesting!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 01:04 PM
No you hadnt, it was a good post.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You did!! But it was good, positive ramble, very interesting!!
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No you hadnt, it was a good post.
Aw, thanks guys
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Aw, thanks guys
Our pleasure!! No harm in rambling ... it means you are passionate and you care ... both very good traits for dog owners to possess!!
Page 56 of 56 « First < 6 46 53 54 55 56