Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Itchy Skin

Wondered please if anyone has any ideas/thoughts on what could be causing my dog to scratch? She's been on a vet diet dry/tinned since late last year. It has worked (touch wood so far) for the problem/s she was having but she has been scratching , did mention to the vet before. Her skin was not sore and advised to keep her on food for while as was better than problems she'd been having. My dog doesn't have fleas and is brushed regularly. Have been told should be ok to start trying a different food gradually n have been looking at F4D n a salmon n potato food(have considered raw in past, but still unsure). I am so frightened of her being ill again, but the itching is not pleasant for her(she doesn't do it constantly). Any ideas,experience, words of advice welcome
Many thanks.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Do you give any oil supplements? Toby has evening primrose oil which seems to help his dry skin, and he sometimes gets a splash of fish oil etc. We also got salmon treats which are quite oily
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Ollie had started to scratch a bit last year and get flaky dry skin near his tail. I was recommended the Kronch salmon oil he has it once a day in his food at breakfast his coat is lovely and shiny and the itching has stopped it wasn't anything significant but I didn't want it to get out of hand as his breed are well known for hot spots.

I have used the fish4dogs salmon oil too.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Do you give any oil supplements? Toby has evening primrose oil which seems to help his dry skin, and he sometimes gets a splash of fish oil etc. We also got salmon treats which are quite oily
Thankyou, i didn't think about oils as the food is supposed to have everything in it I will get some and see if makes a difference, have never been sure about these vet prescription diets. Doesn't matter about cost(bake potato diet ) so long as she is well, will do anything for her
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 05:52 PM
I had a similar problem with my dog. I tried several foods but he continued scratching.

Finally I concluded that rice seemed to be a possible trigger so tried Fish4Dogs. He's been so much better since having this food. He has it every morning and then in the evening he has meat.

It's a good kibble, the F4D, I think, definitely worth trying, best of luck
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ollie had started to scratch a bit last year and get flaky dry skin near his tail. I was recommended the Kronch salmon oil he has it once a day in his food at breakfast his coat is lovely and shiny and the itching has stopped it wasn't anything significant but I didn't want it to get out of hand as his breed are well known for hot spots.

I have used the fish4dogs salmon oil too.
Thankyou Lynn is good to know, Ollie is certainly looking good so will definately give it a try x

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I had a similar problem with my dog. I tried several foods but he continued scratching.

Finally I concluded that rice seemed to be a possible trigger so tried Fish4Dogs. He's been so much better since having this food. He has it every morning and then in the evening he has meat.

It's a good kibble, the F4D, I think, definitely worth trying, best of luck
Thankyou, have some F4D sample here but was bit unsure, despite all of good things said, for fear of dog being ill.

Thankyou all very much once again
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 07:51 PM
When we first brought Jimmi home from Dogs Trust he was a mass of itchiness........they had him on Lamb and rice, and we changed to chicken and rice, with absolutely no result! On Vet's advice, we put him on Salmon and Potato and have not looked back since. We still have problems with his paws, but they may be a totally different issue, and it is wonderful to see his coat fully grown back and not have to watch him endlessly scratching and rolling around on the carpet.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
When we first brought Jimmi home from Dogs Trust he was a mass of itchiness........they had him on Lamb and rice, and we changed to chicken and rice, with absolutely no result! On Vet's advice, we put him on Salmon and Potato and have not looked back since. We still have problems with his paws, but they may be a totally different issue, and it is wonderful to see his coat fully grown back and not have to watch him endlessly scratching and rolling around on the carpet.
Thankyou very much, am glad Jimmi is lot better