Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:01 PM

How much bone?

i have switched the dogs on to raw food, but as of yet they havent had any bone. i did try them on a chicken wing but they werent really interested.

i just wondered how much bone i should be giving in a week? they have everything else in their diet, just not the bone, because i dont know how much i can give them or what really.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
It varies depending on who you speak to, but I'd definitely want some bone in there, the whole bones do help keep teeth clean, which minced bones don't. It's one of the bonuses of raw feeding.

If you want a guide to feeding, email me, and I'll send you across a rough guide of what I feed my dogs - joanne@tarimoorart.co.uk
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
i want to feed bone. they just didnt like chicken wings and i didnt know what else to feed. but i definately want bone in their diet because i want their teeth clean and want them to have something to chew.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I give minces which have some bone included, other than that he gets some freebie lamb bones from the butcher or some lamb flank is a good choice if you cant get the other bones. Overall if you are feeding prey model it 80% meat, 10% offal (of which 5% should be liver) and 10% bone. Thats just a guideline in my view though, tbh if he is getting mince and the poo is too soft then he needs more bone so he will get a lamb bone after his next meal and that sorts it out. Adding canned fish also gives some calcium from the bones. They do need bone though as its a source of all their minerals...

Try lamb flank, marrow bones (I would just let them eat the softer joint parts over a couple of days and the marrow then throw it away as the other parts are really hard and can apparently break their teeth) beef ribs, chicken carcasses, that sort of thing.

Perhaps score the meat on the chicken wing through to the bone and that may help entice them a bit.
wickerman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
i never feed bone as such but a chewing bone from the butcher full of marrow, is a great treat and lasts for hours if not days
i would be wary of chicken it can break up into very sharp slivers and if taken internally can cause problems
Will
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
i never feed bone as such but a chewing bone from the butcher full of marrow, is a great treat and lasts for hours if not days
i would be wary of chicken it can break up into very sharp slivers and if taken internally can cause problems
Will
Actually, it's the other way round, it's the denser, weight bearing bones that are prone to splintering, and can cause problems. You shouldn't ever leave a dog unsupervised with a bone, but particularly marrow bones. Chicken bones, and the bones of younger animals, are much softer, and less prone to splintering
wickerman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
well i can only go on experience and i have been breeding dogs for more than twenty years mostly whippets but also pugs and pappillons taking best of breed at crufts with a dog pappillon, but i have never encountered a problem with bones i agree one should always be present but i will bow to your greater knowledge on the matter i know my dogs but dont claim to be an expert on bones, thank you for the information
Will
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Will
Cooked chicken bones can form sharp splinters so should never be fed. Raw chicken bones are a completely different matter. My dogs are fed all raw meat and bones and get 20-30 chicken carcasses a week, each.
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Bones suitable for smaller dogs i ncludes lamb and pork ribs,lamb neck,turkey necks,and chicken drumsticks,my little yorkie,now at the bridge used to manage these with no problems.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
well i can only go on experience and i have been breeding dogs for more than twenty years mostly whippets but also pugs and pappillons taking best of breed at crufts with a dog pappillon, but i have never encountered a problem with bones i agree one should always be present but i will bow to your greater knowledge on the matter i know my dogs but dont claim to be an expert on bones, thank you for the information
Will
Apologies if I came across as 'preachy', not at all intended, just that there are a lot of myths about bones and raw feeding. I wouldn't call myself an expert, just someone who has learnt a bit, and is always willing to learn more about a subject.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »