Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Makes my blood boil to..add a stupid name and add an extra 0 to the price, most are clearly out to make money from these crosses.
I have seen the disaster of some of these crosses coming into rescue, and how are breed is being mated to anything with 4 legs to produce hairless puppies.

I have seen hairless staffs, hairless shar peis, hairless german shepards, hairless poodles, hairless rotties and anything else you can think of advertised on websites and free adverts..

Of course there not real hairless staffs ect there staff cross CC's.. and you can just imagine the stupid names that come with the dogs..There being sold at double the price of either breed.
Purposefully breeding Hairless dogs?????? That is really ridiculous, and pure cruelty in my opinion!!!!!! Dogs have hair for a reason, if you have a problem with dog-hair, don't get a dog! If you want something to dress up, get a barbie!!!! If you're allergic, there are breeds out there already which are anti-allergic... but dogs need hair!!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
Purposefully breeding Hairless dogs?????? That is really ridiculous, and pure cruelty in my opinion!!!!!! Dogs have hair for a reason, if you have a problem with dog-hair, don't get a dog! If you want something to dress up, get a barbie!!!! If you're allergic, there are breeds out there already which are anti-allergic... but dogs need hair!!!
Excuse me! we breed and show the hairless chinese cresteds, not to dress them up..we are very passionate about the breed...whats the problem with them being hairless??
there are a few breeds that carry the hairless gene and have been for 100's of years!
and just to get the record straight the post i did above was saying what i have seen, the breed we have is perfect as it is we do not cross breed them with the other dogs i stated above!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
It is madness isn't it.

To be honest though it is the end result of a long line of interference into dog breeding that we have by and large put up with for years now.

Is it ok to breed a dog with a pushed in snout, because some committee somewhere thought it looked better, but not so good to breed a dog without hair? I know that is not what you are suggesting - both are bad and are examples of how far interference into the basic make up of dogs has gone unfortunately.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
It is madness isn't it.

To be honest though it is the end result of a long line of interference into dog breeding that we have by and large put up with for years now.

Is it ok to breed a dog with a pushed in snout, because some committee somewhere thought it looked better, but not so good to breed a dog without hair? I know that is not what you are suggesting - both are bad and are examples of how far interference into the basic make up of dogs has gone unfortunately.
not to mention those who breed cockapoos and all the other poo`s and doodles!!!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Excuse me! we breed and show the hairless chinese cresteds, not to dress them up..we are very passionate about the breed...whats the problem with them being hairless??
there are a few breeds that carry the hairless gene and have been for 100's of years!
and just to get the record straight the post i did above was saying what i have seen, the breed we have is perfect as it is we do not cross breed them with the other dogs i stated above!
I think (hope) you misunderstood me... .. Dog breeds that have been hairless for 100's of years probably (hopefully) have other traits by now which make them suitable for (mainly) indoor living and/or exposure... and that is fine although not my "cup of tea", no disrespect intended... however, GSD's, Labs, poodles etc are dogs that need a fair bit of outdoor exercise and breeding them hairless IS disgusting and very dangerous to their health both in cold and warm climates.... and I wasn't suggesting that you were the one doing the cross-breeding!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
It is madness isn't it.

I totally agree that there is way too much interference!!!! But then again, I'm not much into the whole show-thing either (and I really don't mean any disrespect to anyone who is!!!!), I just love dogs for their characters and don't really care what they look like... why did I get a BC? because all the BC's I've ever met were lovely!!!! Did I get a BC from a show-line or specifically working-line? No.... Tess isn't from an official breeder, but from two BC owners who loved their dogs and wanted their characters to live on... a one-time thing.... and exactly what I was looking for.... the result.... Tess has a really sweet and loving dog but for others probably not the most beautiful BC ever.... but she's a 100% BC in all other ways....
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
A cross is a cross, which is a cross anyway there is nothing wrong with crosses, but call them what they are, mind you I have a lurcher and a longdog, what do you think of that

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No we don't need more breeds, or dogs actually! There aren't enough homes to go round for the ones already in the world! I personally could never bring myself to buy a dog from a breeder, nevermind a designer dog.

To me, for every dog you buy from a breeder, that's like killing a dog in rescue isn't it?

Sorry, gone off topic
I don't agree, as long as the dogs are from good breeders have all the relevant health testing, and go to good homes I don't see the issue, espcailly as some people would be great homes, but are turned down by rescues, I myself would love a Podenco from the Ibizan hound rescue, but would still buy an animal from a good breeder, and its not the ones going to responsible breeders who are doing something thats 'like killing a dog in rescue', its those who go to BYB, and who don't take good care, or just don't care at all who add to the rescue poplulation who are doing this IMO.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I think (hope) you misunderstood me... .. Dog breeds that have been hairless for 100's of years probably (hopefully) have other traits by now which make them suitable for (mainly) indoor living and/or exposure... and that is fine although not my "cup of tea", no disrespect intended... however, GSD's, Labs, poodles etc are dogs that need a fair bit of outdoor exercise and breeding them hairless IS disgusting and very dangerous to their health both in cold and warm climates.... and I wasn't suggesting that you were the one doing the cross-breeding!
I may have taken your post a little wrong..and yes breeding other breeds to hairless dogs is wrong and can cause problems.
how ever the CC's do very well in cold and warm climates if there skin is correctly cared for..we are passionate about the breed and there uniqueness, although there not everyones cup of tea
they have great characters and are great family pets, ours love agility and love being out in the ring.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I may have taken your post a little wrong..and yes breeding other breeds to hairless dogs is wrong and case cause problems.
how ever the CC's do very well in cold and warm climates if there skin is correctly cared for..we are passionate about the breed and there uniqueness, although there not everyones cup of tea
they have great characters and are great family pets, ours love agility and love being out in the ring.
Well then we firmly agree!!!!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
not to mention those who breed cockapoos and all the other poo`s and doodles!!!
I understand the sentiment behind your post although I dont entirely agree.

Poo's, doodles, cross breeds, call them what you will are just that - a cross between a poodle and a spaniel or whatever. There is no specific breeding programme to give them longer legs, shorter ears, wider chests or less hair-(at least I dont think they are, but I am willing to be corrected.

Maybe it's just that we all have different levels at which we draw the line?

I see no problem with the whole labradoodle, cockerpoo thing, but do have concerns about certain pedigree breed standards and the problems they cause the dog - other people feel differently.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 50 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »