Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think it's healthy to question any methods and not follow anything blindly but try to spread it around a bit, he's not the only trainer on tv.
I agree wholeheaertedly with that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No - I wasn't aware of the points scoring thing - I was writing as I saw the discussion going.

But sadly they do not. Whenever I book an appointment with someone I make sure to say to them....This is a long term thing - if you are not willing to put the time and effort in it will not succeed. People need it spelt out as they see what appears to be instant results on the TV and they are so desperate that they need something to clutch on to.

IME - it is the dogs that do not see as much of thier owners or are socially isolated (Kenneled dogs in particular) who give that much attention to the owner.

Often when people spend more time with the dog - it is happier to spend its time off and about - it does not need to 'make the most' of the time spent with the owner

This is just my observations of the dogs I have worked with.
Tango was kennelled until she came here and she is obsessive about us, she will not leave us alone. She is getting lots better but gosh initially she was leech like and was at the rescue kennels and was in her first kennel. I couldn't agree more with this. Great point, well made.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Ive said how i train recalls, perhaps a pro CM would like to say how they train a Recall
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 07:29 PM
scarter wrote

<<<I'm told by a friend that visited one pack that they have tremendous control over the hounds. For example, at feeding time the pack master was able to tell the fatter dogs to stop eating and let the skinny ones get extra food.>>>

Flighty was an errant foxhound, they often lose them but she stayed lost for 6months in Truro and no one could get near her.

Even after several years she would either not go near you if you had a stick or if she thought she was in trouble with no escape she would submit painfully low to the ground and wiggle and wet herself.

They are caller whipper ins for a reason!

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:00 PM
just done some nose work with her she's wacked, i don't actually want her to stick to me likr glue, i want her to work in front of me under control.

Just a point on the kennel thing, this is what a lot of the gundog folk think,, they get a better working dog if you kennel it, because it doesn't have your attention all the time and i can see this with dogs that belong to friends.

CC don't you think your dogs wanting to be with you is more a breed thing? not that well up on toy breeds but aren't chi's bred to be companion dogs?

Oh and as for the question thats what i asked at the beginning, how would both sides teach a recall
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Ive said how i train recalls, perhaps a pro CM would like to say how they train a Recall

Yes, good point and still waiting for a response!!

Originally Posted by rune View Post
scarter wrote

<<<I'm told by a friend that visited one pack that they have tremendous control over the hounds. For example, at feeding time the pack master was able to tell the fatter dogs to stop eating and let the skinny ones get extra food.>>>

Flighty was an errant foxhound, they often lose them but she stayed lost for 6months in Truro and no one could get near her.

Even after several years she would either not go near you if you had a stick or if she thought she was in trouble with no escape she would submit painfully low to the ground and wiggle and wet herself.

They are caller whipper ins for a reason!rune
That's true, and maybe that's why CM has such obedient dogs that dare not sniff the ground when he is walking his pack!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Sometimes I think we make our dogs into what we want them to be---and choose the breeds which are easier to mould.

So CC's dogs get rewarded for being clingy where others want their dogs to be more independant. I don't expect you'd get 8 springers not wanting to run around and explore wherever was within scenting distance.

How do yours behave running free in a new area CC? Do they want to explore or do they hang round you?

rune
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I tried asking that a couple of hundred posts ago.........
I thought I already had about a hundred posts ago.

I also think it was me that said my dogs stick to me like glue when running when Ailsa commented on how he got the dogs to stick so close to him when filming.

Is it just easier to pick on CC or what?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I thought I already had about a hundred posts ago.

I also think it was me that said my dogs stick to me like glue when running when Ailsa commented on how he got the dogs to stick so close to him when filming.

Is it just easier to pick on CC or what?
Sorry - not trying to pick on anyone just respnding to posts - but as I was out all afternoon and am still feeling a bit yuk I am sorry about missing your post.

I don't agree that it is alway healthy for dogs to be like that. I think they need to run about, sniff, explore and generally be dogs - but that is my opinon.

With regards to CM....is this a still shot or video footage?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Sorry - not trying to pick on anyone just respnding to posts - but as I was out all afternoon and am still feeling a bit yuk I am sorry about missing your post.

I don't agree that it is alway healthy for dogs to be like that. I think they need to run about, sniff, explore and generally be dogs - but that is my opinon.

With regards to CM....is this a still shot or video footage?
Well they don't do it exclusively, they do get time to amble about sniff and explore too, I was responding to Ailsa querying how or what he did to get his dogs to stick so close when running and as far as I'm concerned it's simple I don't have to do anything they naturally stick like glue when I break into a run. The photo concerned was a still.
Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »