Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:37 PM

We are going to take the TDI test

I have been working with Nigredo for a long time using TDI standards for his behavior. Testing is this Saturday. We have to drive two hours to get there. He's been doing very well with nearly everything.

His "Leave it" command is not perfect, but is very good, which concerns me a little bit. Hopefully he will hang in there on testing day or they allow a teensy bit of room for error. Admittedly I relax at home a bit too much.

These are the requirements to pass, but I have heard they often give people a little bit of wiggle room, which might be good for us.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/HowToJoin.aspx?Page=New+TDI+Test

He's got most of this stuff down very well, but leave it to him to be "himself" on testing day and ruin everything. We visit elderly homes often and he is very used to (and does well with) all the mechanics there.

I don't think we will pass (I know people are going to be there with perfect dogs and the slightest mistake will fail us), but we are going to try nonetheless and it will be an excellent learning opportunity to us. If we fail, we can try again at a later date.

Wish us luck please.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Good luck! He'll do great and do you proud
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Hope he does well, keep on with the leave it command and you will get there. I can now do a recall with a food item and they will leave it when I say.
Do 5 minutes practice every day without fail then go onto something he can do easily so he finishes the session on a positive note
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Good luck Myra and Negredo
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Good luck Myra (& Nigredo ) You'll do it
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Walk in the park...have faith,he'll be great
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you, everyone. At times he's so perfect but then at other times, he veers off just a bit, it's been very hard to get him to relax around other dogs but he does it well now. His "Leave it" command has been very hard for him, he's kinda fat and he adores food.

If we do not pass, we will re-double our efforts and go to the elderly home more often and work on anything he didn't do well enough. I know he can do it even if he cannot pass this time.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Hope he does well, keep on with the leave it command and you will get there. I can now do a recall with a food item and they will leave it when I say.
Do 5 minutes practice every day without fail then go onto something he can do easily so he finishes the session on a positive note
It has been VERY HARD for him. Most other dogs learn this easily. Of course we began when he was little, but he just struggles with it sometimes. Every now and then he'll ignore the command entirely, but this is pretty rare... but could be disastrous if he picks the evaluation to do it

I know it is very important for this type of work, because pills etc. might fall or be stuck into food that falls and he cannot be allowed to eat it. Also he cannot take food from residents because he might bite their hand by accident and/or get an upset tummy.

I'm still working on it all the time, but it's just one of his weak pints TBH. My last dog learned it fine and so have most other dogs I've seen or known. Shame since he's so good with everything else.

He's also learning assistance (picking up items off the floor, standing "sturdy" to assist people with rising) unofficially.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Myra, he is still a pup but yet has done so well already. He is the sort of dog who I am sure those folk you take him to already adore.

I loved your comment "standing sturdy to assist people with rising" as I needed Pereg's "stand sturdy" to help me get off the loo at the Vet last week - having raised lavatory seats and bars each side of the lavatories at home normal ones are so difficult for me. But holding her harness gave me sufficient impetus to get up - far better and far less embarrassing than calling the vet nurse to come and help me!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Myra, he is still a pup but yet has done so well already. He is the sort of dog who I am sure those folk you take him to already adore.

I loved your comment "standing sturdy to assist people with rising" as I needed Pereg's "stand sturdy" to help me get off the loo at the Vet last week - having raised lavatory seats and bars each side of the lavatories at home normal ones are so difficult for me. But holding her harness gave me sufficient impetus to get up - far better and far less embarrassing than calling the vet nurse to come and help me!
Thank you so much, Malka. Everyone does love Nigredo, and he is trying so hard with everything. I wish I was more competent, then I know there would be no stopping him, but I'm trying very hard, too.

TDI does not allow nor register assistance dogs (only therapy), this is just something I am teaching him as well as his therapy training and cues. I think if we pass and get into some programs, it'll just be a nice bonus and help us along.

Nigredo is 84 lbs, strong, stocky and can easily take a bit of weight from elderly people who aren't very strong and who don't weigh a lot. Granted I'm far too heavy etc. but I think it's something nice for him to know. He loves to learn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >