Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Salmon oil

Hi all
Just after some advice, just in case anyone hasn't seen my post about Mya's balding sides and scurfy fur etc, she has had blood tests for hypothyroidism (under active thyroid) results should be back tomorrow or Friday.
Do you think adding salmon oil to her food would be beneficial at all?
She is struggling with her weight and has gained 3kgs in 2 months so I don't want her putting any more weight on but wondered if it might be worth a shot to help her fur?
Any thoughts?
Tracy x
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:35 AM
If she's struggling with weight and has patchy fur, I'd expect the tests will come back positive for hypothyroidism. My childhood dog Patches had it, and that's exactly her symptoms. A real tell-tail sign is thin tail fur. My vet calls it the hypothyroid rat tail.

I feed Salmon Oil, olive oil, and Rosemary for Mouse's poor coat. Mouse cant keep weight on, however, so I dont worry about the extra fat in the oils. You dont have to give much, and you could go with Flaxseed oil instead. But Mouse's coat is now very good, infact she looks better than she ever has.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:50 AM
thank you, we are hoping it is her thyroid then we can get on with treating her instead of more tests. Don't mean that to sound selfish I just want her to be well and hopefully stop worrying about her
I didn't want the salmon oil adding to her weight issues but if it is hypothyroidism once she starts meds her weight should drop anyway hopefully
Thanks for replying xx
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:16 PM
HT is easy though, and not a bad thing to have wrong. Just a couple of pills a day, a high fiber diet and solved! Patches didn't lose much weight though, after her diagnosis. Infact she didn't lose much until she got sick before she died... not that we tried all that hard then, we just thought it was the way she is... now I know different.

I dont think a small amount of Oil will affect her weight much, though.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:22 PM
thanks, was Patches ravenously hungry too? Mya is terribly hungry, I feel so mean. I'm adding more veg hoping this will fill her up a bit...
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:34 PM
It was a long time ago, and she was a spaniel (they're ALWAYS hungry LOL) So I dont really remember her being more hungry. But she was diagnosed at 6 years old, and I suspect the HT came quite young, around 2. but she did drink alot her whole life, I dont think that was part of the HT, I think it was just her... she drank double what a dog her size should drink... but then, her fav. treat was ice cubes LOL.

The veggies are a good idea. It'll bulk out her meals without "packing on the pounds" You could consider giving less dog food, more veggies in her meals, then adding the salmon oil (grate any veggies, so she gets some nutritional benefits from them)
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:40 PM
thank you so much, I really appreciate your advice and experience. I'll update when we get the test results
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
Hi all
Just after some advice, just in case anyone hasn't seen my post about Mya's balding sides and scurfy fur etc, she has had blood tests for hypothyroidism (under active thyroid) results should be back tomorrow or Friday.
Do you think adding salmon oil to her food would be beneficial at all?
She is struggling with her weight and has gained 3kgs in 2 months so I don't want her putting any more weight on but wondered if it might be worth a shot to help her fur?
Any thoughts?
Tracy x
Wait for the tests to come back and then supplementation may not be necessary on top of meds.

If negative, then you may wish to consider Salmon (or any other Fish Body Oil).

This is anti inflammatory and is a great source of Omega 3s DHA/EPA, as well as being good for heart, brain and joints.

If you give this you must also give Vitamin E as the former depletes the body of the latter.

Dogs must convert the ALA in flaxseed to DHA/EPA which gives the organs more work and is not an efficient way or providing EFAs.

You may wish to consider GLA for coat though via Evening Primrose Oil or Borage (Starflower) Oil.

Note, EPO is not suitable for dogs with epilepsy.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks Smokeybear, that's really useful information
Not too much longer to wait for the test results hopefully.