Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Hmmm - not sure what I think to these..

I was googling something for a member on another forum and this link came up - so I clicked on it and read through it and my face is now like this and and

What do you guys think to it? You have to read fully otherwise it's just jumbled

http://www.doganswers.com/collars.htm

It's the bit about Clickers and Pinch collars that gets me...
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:16 PM
So no to headcollars, no to clickers, 'maybe' to prong collars and 'maybe' to shock collars!!
Hmmm, so it's cruel to use collars and leads....EVER!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:36 PM

I was reading a great article on a training site once (it was a US site) when I was looking for help with K's poo eating. It was brilliant loads of decent suggestions and I wa enjoying............then at very bottom it said something like "if none of this works you will have to use a shock collar."
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:47 PM
The bit about clickers sounds like they don't really know how clicker training works, reads as though they think the click somehow gives the command and that your dog is forever reliant on you having treats.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Typical take on clicker from people who are not anti shock and prong collar. I knew what was coming
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post

I was reading a great article on a training site once (it was a US site) when I was looking for help with K's poo eating. It was brilliant loads of decent suggestions and I wa enjoying............then at very bottom it said something like "if none of this works you will have to use a shock collar."
Living stateside that doesn't surprise me, you would be shocked (excuse the pun) by the amount of offleash dogs I see wearing shock collars.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I am guessing the article is reslly saying we are all too stupid to do it ourselve so we should go to a "proper" training who uses prong snd electric collers so thats why they are a maybe.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Certainly a lot of telling you what you shouldn't be doing but other than seeking a "proper" trainer, whatever one of them is, there was nothing on what you should be doing.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 03:35 PM
If it`s a US site you have to remember that their mainstream thinking in dog training is way behind the UK - even though they have some brilliant people leading the way.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Living stateside that doesn't surprise me, you would be shocked (excuse the pun) by the amount of offleash dogs I see wearing shock collars.
That is really sad to hear I hate the things with a passion, its one good thing Wales has done... banned the use of them prosecuting people who do use them on their dogs. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for England and Scotland just yet. *hopefully soon* though i won't hold my breath.

Thankfully I have not seen many pinch collars, i think they are barbaric things and should be reserved for the monsters which use them and think they are acceptable. No wonder a big dog will try and walk nicely if it has big spikes poking into its neck (also one of the most sensitive and vulnerable areas on its body)

I also don't want to enter a mr Cesar rant.. but it does not help when he actively promotes them on his tv show which is watched by millions upon millions of people who would otherwise, not realise how horrible they are for their dogs. I'm talking about both collars.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >