register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Robert
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 07:01 PM

What makes a good breeder, and what do they do?

The thread on culling has got me thinking (never a good thing) about what makes a good breeder?
I know nothing about breeding, other then 99.9% of breeders work very hard for very little if any gain, so what exactly is involved, and what does make a good breeder?

Would a good breeder, breed to satisfy a need, I'm thinking in particular down in the deep south west where breeders seem to be breeding springers down in size, working springers in this case not show springers, our vet has has mentioned that he's seeing more and more of the smaller springers.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
There are so many things that go toward making a good breeder, I'm sure I won't come up with everything.

In my opinion, a good breeder has many years of experience of owning and learning about a breed.
Good breeders would breed a litter first and formost to obtain a puppy to keep for themselves, and sell the surplus puppies to carefully chosen homes.
Good breeders only breed from good representatives of their breed, animals that have proven themselves worthy by winning consistently in the showring, or working field.
Good breeders only breed from health tested animals that acheive good pass results in whatever tests are neccessary for the breed.
Good breeders NEVER sell their pups to pet shops, and NEVER register them with any other registry than the Kennel Club.
Good breeders provide continuous aftersales advice to new puppy owners, and encourage the new owner to return the puppy to them if circumstances change and they are unable to keep the puppy.
Good breeders NEVER deliberately produce cross breed puppies.

No doubt others will add some more, but there's something to be going on with.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Good breeders NEVER sell their pups to pet shops, and NEVER register them with any other registry than the Kennel Club.

LMAO..we,ve got to agree to disagree here i,m afraid, to me its the KC that has got so many breeds to the unhealthy state there in today...My dogs arent recognized by the KC and we prefer it that way....Doesnt make any breeder of the breed a bad breeder, contrary we breed for health first and foremost, since hip scoring came into play only 12 KC bulldogs have been scored with a median score of 43?? my 2 dogs that have been hip scored to date have scores of 9 & 10 now that is responsible!!!!!!
kinzy
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Kinzy, so am I correct in assuming you feel it's acceptable to sell your pups to pet shops???
Also the Kennel Club do a very good job in trying to ensure bitches are not too old or young and bred to death, by not registering their litters, or do you advocate that as well??

You are coming across as the kind of breeder I would NOT want a puppy from.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 10:29 PM
read my post????how can i kennel club register my dogs if there not KC recognised???you will never find a victorian bulldog in a pet shop...fact, people i,m involved with are all good people and have the welfare of the breed in mind....you ought to really open your eyes and look what the KC has done to some breeds all for the sake of standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kinzy
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I did read your post Kinzy.... Quote ..to me it's the Kennel Club that has got so many breeds to the unhealthy state there in today.. Unquote

If you'd my post you would have seen that I was referring to the good work the KC does in monitering breeders and their litters.

You didn't answer the question about selling puppies to pet shops ......
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 10:42 PM
NO...pet shops are outlets for puppy millers...imo..our breed is a rare breed liberty, there is a lot of interest in it, pups are gone quickly to right homes....
what i meant by KC was>>>look at the bulldog now
look at the irish setter>>>>
look at the GSD>>.
a lot of these dogs were bred for a purpose not be paraded around a ring..imo
thus we all have differ views this is only mine!!!!
kinzy
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by kinzy

LMAO..we,ve got to agree to disagree here i,m afraid, to me its the KC that has got so many breeds to the unhealthy state there in today.

I agree completely with the everyone having their own points of view, however can you see how your initial post came across, as it being acceptable to sell puppies in pet shops, and just because the KC does not recognize your breed, does not mean they do not have a dogs best interests at heart where breeding is concerned, this topic is, after all, about what makes a good breeder.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 11:01 PM
yes the pet shop bit came up couldnt stop it....lol...but one reply was if you register your dog outwith the KC was implying you were a bad breeder!! thats how i highlighted it!
kinzy
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

05-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I think a good breeder will breed to 'better' the breed (but we all have to acknowledge that people view different things as 'better').

- Perhaps then, bettering the breed in my eyes would be to produce healthy animals with excellent (intelligent) temperments above all else (looks shouldn't overide health etc).

- A breeder would find good homes for their pups. And offer support should they need it.

- Would always consider the welfare of the animal (i.e not breed the bitches to death or when too old or sell to pup supermarkets etc).

- But I don't think being a KC reg breeder or not makes much difference - as I've seen plenty of 'not so good breeders' who have KC prefixes.

To me it's not about winning in the show ring, or the working 'ring'.. it's about winning in the home

but thats just MHO

edited to correct the bold tag
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >