Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 11:11 PM

(Human) Breed Standard - can you see a 'type'? Food for Thought

While standing in the queue for the checkout in Tesco last night I started observing all my fellow customers.

I noticed how different everyone was - there was no similarity or 'type' whatsoever. There were long noses, bulbous noses, sticking-out-ears, curly ears, bushy eyebrows, high cheek bones, square faces, round faces, long faces, protruding chins, undershot and overshot mouths (and that was just the heads, I didn't even get started on the bodies, limbs, conformation or movement lol)

It then occurred to me (I must have been tired or just have a one track mind) but .......... I wondered if there was a 'Breed Standard' for mankind? If there is, after all these millions of years we still haven't got it right!

Have a look next time you are out - see if you can see a 'breed type'. (Try to be discreet or we'll get Doglovers a bad name as being weirdos!)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 07:33 AM
That is true, we are very different and a large number of us suffer from hereditary or congenital problems. Would not mind betting that the number suffering the effects of HD would be very high. Thing is we choose a partner with no thought at all to the health of our future progeny and we are all mongrels except perhaps the Royals of earlier years who were line bred.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 07:37 AM
lol lol lol, maybe there would be many types, like there isn't on single type for 'dogs' in general.

What would they groups be?!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
While standing in the queue for the checkout in Tesco last night I started observing all my fellow customers.

I noticed how different everyone was - there was no similarity or 'type' whatsoever. There were long noses, bulbous noses, sticking-out-ears, curly ears, bushy eyebrows, high cheek bones, square faces, round faces, long faces, protruding chins, undershot and overshot mouths (and that was just the heads, I didn't even get started on the bodies, limbs, conformation or movement lol)

It then occurred to me (I must have been tired or just have a one track mind) but .......... I wondered if there was a 'Breed Standard' for mankind? If there is, after all these millions of years we still haven't got it right!

Have a look next time you are out - see if you can see a 'breed type'. (Try to be discreet or we'll get Doglovers a bad name as being weirdos!)
He he he I look at people all the time and think "hmmmm what dog would they be?" I thought I was nuts - good to see someone else is too
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 12:48 PM
I totally agree about breeding with hereditary defects - I think all human breeding stock should be hip scored before breeding (if my parents were dogs they should of been neutered - not to be bred from!). Some human 'lines' are definitely NOT bred for temperament! lol There's something to be said for linebreeding.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
I totally agree about breeding with hereditary defects - I think all human breeding stock should be hip scored before breeding (if my parents were dogs they should of been neutered - not to be bred from!). Some human 'lines' are definitely NOT bred for temperament! lol There's something to be said for linebreeding.
Lol yep I agree, but if we were bred for temperment recon there would be more people who couldnt breed then could! Would sort out the problems with over population though wouldnt it!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Indeed Sandra our dogs must look down their noses at us mongrels!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Luz
Indeed Sandra our dogs must look down their noses at us mongrels!

Oh my girls do, think they are all high and mighty, Charlie is the same as me though so we get on well
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 09:06 PM
trust you sandra to come up with this, its your excuse for eyeing up men. anyway i think mel gibson pretty much meets the standard.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Julie - what ARE you suggesting - I was honestly trying to think of what I'd forgotten and started to notice people, and went off at a tangent - honest!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >