Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:45 PM

Choke collars for class? Oh no...

Coming up on March 31 I am thinking about enrolling Kieron in an obedience class. This is the first opportunity to come up that I am actually able to enroll. So therefore, Kieron has never been to class before. I'm nervous about her reaction. My biggest worry though is the fact that the trainer uses choke collars when training the dogs. When I talked to her and told her I was concerned about using a choke collar, as I've heard such negative comments about them, she said that she gets that reaction all the time. She assured me that if a choke collar is used correctly and it can do wonders. She recognizes the fact that many trainers and owners abuse the choke collar, harming their dogs.

I feel confident that a choke collar will be correctly used in this class and I have promised myself that if the trainer uses the collar in a manner I disagree with, I'll drop out of the class.

But I just wanted to know what you all think about choke collars. Do any of you use them for training? Do they produce good results? If you are totally against choke collars and have used them in the past, what made you side against them?

If I decide to enroll in this class and begin training Kieron with a choke collar, I will step lightly. Any wrong move of the trainer that angers me or hurts Kieron in any wrongful way, I'll be out of there and will find a different class to attend.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:46 PM
But I just wanted to know what you all think about choke collars
I dont like them

You could never use one on a staffy anyway- it would kill itself
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I use them on my dogs in the show ring only.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I use a half check with Teagan. Works great (when she's being good! lol).
The Half-check is what they used at the training classes I went to.
Don't like full ones!
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by SibeLuver03
if the trainer uses the collar in a manner I disagree with, I'll drop out of the class.
Even when used corectly, a check/choke chain is a form of negative reinforcement. IMO, the use of any negative reinforcement method is unecessary, so I would never consider a class that uses such methods, even if they are conducted 'humanely'

Is there a reason this trainer prefers these methods to positive reinforcement?
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I do not like them, never used one..
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi

I Never use a check or choke chain, IMHO this is a barbaric outdated method of lead control and can cause long term damage, there is no reason whatsoever to use one.

Trainers that insist on using them show that they have not kept up to date with modern methods including positive reinforcements, and are therefore to be avoided at all cost. Surely we are not going back to the Barbara Woodhouse method of abuse.

Stan
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I dotn like them - however in actual fact every collar I use on Bruno constitues a choke collar - as he basically pulls so much that he chokes himslef on it - whether its a big padded number or a choke chain. Absolutely pointless - staffies act like they feel no pain - we have to use a harness - which he thens gets all his weight behind and pulls even more - Think my next dog might be a chihuaha !! Only joking Bruno !!!!

lol
dani
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't like them at all - for all the above reasons and also I would like my dog to obey because he respects me and wants to do it, not because I have forced him. What happens when the choke collar is not on him? Does he still want to do as you ask? It's not just that - dogs can be severely harmed by choke chains.

Sibes are lovely intelligent, stubborn dogs - I really think gentle, firm but patient, motivational training will work.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Just thought I'd add that there are some really good books out there on positive training methods. I don't know if I can mention them on here but one that was given to us in our first training class was called After You Get Your Puppy (there, haven't said who wrot it!) and the writer owned an Alaskan Malamute. His training methods are really good and if he got a Malamute well trained, there you go.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >