Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 06:31 PM

How consistent is the UK Kennel Club?

I have been filling in my Crufts entry and stumbled on a problem - then another question arose - so I have emailed the UK Kennel Club hoping for a reply!
Deccy has letters after his name, "JD" which is the Irish version of the Junior Warrant, the Junior Diploma. Therefore, for all Irish shows he is now entered as such but as it is an IKC award I don't know whether to include it at the end of his pedigree name for Crufts. He is registered with both Kennel Clubs.
The other point that arose is more interesting and far reaching. It came about when I was talking with a show secretary about qualifications for a "... dog of the year" competition. One of the qualifiers for this, for adults, is that the dog has a UK KC stud book number. Now to get this, one would normally need to win a RCC or JW I believe, from a UK show, or to be a Champion. Now comparing this to Crufts - I need a 5 point or more Green Star (a "Major") to qualify for Crufts 2007 - which Deccy has - but this is deemed to be equivalent to a CC, hence him having to go into Limit.
Ergo, if Deccy has a Green Star (Major) - equal to a CC - should he have a UK stud book number?????
If the UK Kennel Club come back and say no - then how can they equate a Green Star Major to a CC on the one hand, yet not permit a dog with this award to have a UK stud book number when it is also KC registered?
This ties in a bit with the rumour that from Crufts 2008, as Green Stars will no longer have points, dogs that have won Majors during 2006 will be awarded stud book numbers.
Confused? I certainly am!

I will wait to see what the UK KC have to say........

My brain hurts now!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

23-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Maybe the Irish Kennel Club could help you on this one, surely they should know whether their qualifications are accepted for Crufts. You will probably get an answer quicker from them than Crufts, Kath
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-11-2006, 07:41 PM
my brain is hurting just reading it - good luck - you're gonna need it!!!
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Deccy I understand what your saying to some extent but I think the answer is going to be no to the stud book number as the Green Star major was awarded in a show not run by the UK KC and therefore is not a stud book qualifyer. They do however have to give it some kind of status equivelant to an UK award so that the fact your dog has achieved that level is taken into consideration for qualifying for Crufts and being shown.
As an aside Stud book numbers are gained by winning a JW, a CC , A RCC, first, second and third in Open or first in Limit at championship shows where CC's are on offer for Dalmatians as they are in Band D for stud book allocation.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks - that is what I suspected - I knew a bit about stud book qualifiers as Polly and Polo both have them, from being shown in the UK. It just seemed a bit inconsistent to say that a Major "is the equivalent of a CC" therefore we have to go into Limit (Deccy isn't 2 yet and still developing) but as far as stud book numbers go, it doesn't count. However, it's their ball and their game... I don't think that the IKC will be much help on this as they are not too interested in Crufts, being tied up with FCI shows and new rules Nationally.
I will just have to try extra hard and make him up . I expect in due course that the KC will issue the new rules on IKC qualifications for Crufts - another rumour going around is that only certain Champ shows will qualify from Ireland from 2008, in the same way as mainland Europe.
I suppose those of us "over the water" who can still make up an international Champion with 4 CACIBs won at FCI shows in Ireland - which UK dogs can't do any more - can't have it both ways!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Deccy
Can I just mention that if you have emailed the Kennel Club, don't hold your breath. I've sent about half a dozen to them and never had a reply. This was just my experience. So you might be better contacting them by phone instead.
Louisev
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2006, 11:22 AM
I think if he has a Green Star (sorry, never did understand all that!) then it's sort of like points towards being a Champion? If so, I think he has to go into Open? Unless they have changed the rules which is more than likely. A few years ago the group winning OES got disqualified because it had won a couple of points in the USA, and the owners had mistakenly put it in PG instead of Open.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi Louisev Limit is for dogs that have not won 3 CC's under 3 different judges or 7 or more 1st prizes in all at championship shows in Limit and Open classes confined to breed weather restricted or not,at shows where CCs are offered for the breed. So unless Deccy has the equivelent qualifications he should be fine in Limit. For Post Graduate he would be over qualified as thats only 1 CC and 5 or more 1st places and thats where the OES was caught out as to qualify for crufts he would have exceeded the post Grad qualifications.

Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks folks, it's good to see such knowledgable people on here helping out by replying
Amazingly, I did email the UK Kennel Club back in the summer when Deccy won his first GS Major, I wanted to know how much more he could get before he moved into Open - and I got a helpful reply! Being new to the Irish system I wanted to find out all I could, we have exhibitors from the North (NI) who are showing under two or three systems and we all sometimes need a reminder!
We only have one more Champ show here before entries close, so with one GS Major (=CC for this purpose), one win in Open and one in Limit, he is safe in Mid Limit I think as he can only win one more Open (and probably won't) - unless any of you can tell me otherwise!
We don't have PG here, you are straight from Grad to Open as there is rarely Limit too...... a bit of a jump for the young feller

I haven't had a reply from the KC yet - and I am reluctant to ring them, an International call during peak time sounds horribly expensive but I'll keep you posted!