View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 10:44 AM

vitamin c does anyone give it to their dogs??

my youngest dog has had a few problems with picking up infections(3 in the last 2 months) he had demodetic mange as a young pup which i understand can be linked to a low immune system,i asked my vet if it was o.k to give vitamin c and zinc and he said yes but also recommended a product i could buy online(SA37)i ordered it and opened it then read the ingredients thoroughly and it contains fish meal which he can't have i don't want to bother the vet with asking for dosages,would i just give 1 tablet a day the same as i take??
he is nearly 2 and weighs 25kg
thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Teagan takes vitamin C, and is on the dosage as a human would have, but she weighs about 45-48kg, which isn't much less than me, so she is about the weight of a small adult.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I give Loki vitamin C because I've read interesting things about it, for instance it's an antioxidant and may have benefits with HD and epilepsy among other health problems.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 04:23 PM
thankyou both i was a bit worried as it said on the bottle not suitable for children under 12 years i wonder if i could get him childrens vitamins
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
thankyou both i was a bit worried as it said on the bottle not suitable for children under 12 years i wonder if i could get him childrens vitamins

Hi

I give Mick vitamin C and Green Lipped Mussel, because he has trouble with his legs, (he "knuckles") he gets about ok though.

He's a Labrador and he'll be 13 in March (please God).

I get both from the health food shop, the vitamin C that I give him, is called "Nature's Aid" and it's a chewable Vitamin c tablet, it says at the bottom, "with rosehips and Citrus Bioflavonoids" it's 500mg tablet.

Regards

Radar
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I give Ester C daily http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=ESTC
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:36 PM
thankyou delaney also gets green lipped mussel as diez has it and he feels left out i will buy some vitamin tablets at the weekend then
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi Griff I prefer to use food rather than supplements whenever possible, all the green vegetables contain lots of vitamin c, try blanching or steamed for a minute then pulp or finely chopped, also as Radar Ears says Rose Hip syrup is very good, the kind you can buy in the health food shop as pure as possible is the best.

Dogs along with most other animals (except humans and guinea pigs) produce their own vitamin C so they should not really need supplement but I think some fresh vegetables are beneficial anyway
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 11:42 AM
thanks mini i have to be a bit careful what i give him food wise as he has a very delicate digestive system i know that carrots do bad things to him
he doesn't seem to have very good immunity to things and the vet said it would be fine to give him vit c,i will look at the links and then decide on what to buy
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Vitamin C is good when they are going into a "stressful" period. Try little pieces of fresh fruit but not too much as may upset tummies if not used to it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >