Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:09 PM

special study ideas

im studying canine behaviour and training at the moment, but one of the units is a special study on anything relating to dogs!
Now im a bit confused as to wot im meant to actually write, but i need to write about something i can easily study.
My first thought was somethin to do with puppy classes as im there twice a week anyway so easy for me to observe.

Any ideas anyone?
The course im trying to enroll on next starts in september, and ive got 3 units left of this one, so need to get a move on otherwise i gotta wait til next yr! so thought i would start on my special study now while im waiting for the next unit to come thru!

so any ideas? and also moral of the essay? if u get me... im at a loss
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Sounds like fun - not sure if I've understood 100% but there are topics you could look into regarding the various vocations of dogs, like mountain rescue, sniffer dogs, guide dogs, farm dogs etc.....

Or maybe product designs for dogs, how do they go about the testing etc. Creating food for dogs etc...

You could also consider the vet side of dealing with dogs.

Hope I'm on the right track.

xi
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:17 PM
How's it going Jenny? :smt039

I would love to do that.

Maple Cottage has some great ideas. Are there any breeds in your class you could study and follow - with MC's ideas in mind? Eg how suitable a certain breed is for a given task?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:26 PM
i do like the ideas, but i need somethin i can practically study if u get me... something easy aswell or i get confused and mess it up,lol.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Is there a dog in puppy class that is exceptionally timid or overly dominant? You could make one of them your study?

For instance, when we first arrived at our puppy class, a GSD pup tried to dominate Loki and that was that. From then on, every time we saw the GSD, Loki would first try to get the GSD to submit before he would do anything else. It was like High Noon

After that, Loki (to my shame) was the most boisterous, dominant puppy there.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Internet can be a great resource too for whatever topic you decide on.

Maybe you could study the people who put puppy classes together, what they need to qualify, how they set up the business, what are the gains and downfalls to it, what types of insurances are needed, what equipment is required, maintenance of equipment, all that kind of stuff. And their personal experiences of it.

Just a thought.

Best wishes with it.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 02:32 AM
How about doing something on the 'critical periods'? It is a fairly concise topic and you will find a lot of info on the net and in books. You could chose to write about all of them, or just one or two. You could relate the thory of, for e.g., the Fear Imprint Period (8-12 weeks) to what you actually observe in puppy classes, and/or the Seniority Classification Period where the slightly older puppy starts to get 'cheeky' and pushy & wants to 'cut the apron strings'. Again, you would have observed this in puppy classes.

SB
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:06 AM
You have allready been given some excellent advice Jenny.

My idea would to be descriebe the diff stages in a puppy´s life.
Starting with when they first come to class and up.
You have a great oppertunity there with the classes you help in at.