Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Relocating? HELP

Okay people I need your help here I live in Birmingham, family, friends...everything here. But recuperating still off sick at the moment I am reconsidering my life....as you do when recovering I have always been aware of jobs (within company) at HO which is Southampton I could do ....I have put nothing in motion yet....but thinking about a change maybe about time for a move but within company (25 years invested is too long to chane when I love my job/company but fancy a change)... .....so it approx 116 miles apart B'ham to Southampton....there's the dilemma would I move or stay put or travel......I know lots of people travel to work ie B'ham to London etc ...... or move halfway sort of Swindon/Reading etc not London (too expensive) suggestions and possible places/areas you would live between Brum and Southampton.... reccomendations appreciated. And places/areas to stay away from (via PM)

It won't be till end of year so no major rush just feeling the water first.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:54 PM
come and live in Edinburgh, I want to meet Sal !!! LOL

Sorry cant be very helpful as dont know the area, but I suppose its just analyzing how dependent or how much time you spend with family and whether you would enjoy being away or spend more time travelling back...

Would you maybe consider moving more rural nearer Birmingham for something a bit different??
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I can pack Sal up for Scottish break anytime....she adores porridge.....
Interesting idea there though Dani...will have a look at that...........may even have a tottle from Brum to Southampton and then deviate.....I know I can ask people who work there how/what they did...but thought I would enquire here initially.....where would you choose?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 07:12 PM
i think initially I would go for the closer option, at least that way its not such a huge upheaval, but then I am very attached and reliant on my family for Luca etc etc - so its different reasoning..

But I often think it would be nice to have a change of scenery and my first choice would just be a village outside of the city of my residence to see if that makes the difference in the way you live etc first....

I think aswell we think the grass is greener, move for things and then miss what we had... so I think I would do more baby like steps first !! but as I say thats me....
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Either Swindon or Southampton!

I am Southampton born and bred, and I lived in Swindon from the age of 8/9 till I was 16! I like both places.

Not really very helpful! Sorry!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Having done long distance commutes for quite a bit of my life, I'd say live closer to work and do your travelling at weekends to see family and friends.

IMO moving half way in between is not one thing or the other - you'll not want to go out with people from work in the evening as you'll have a long treck home but you'll also be too far away to go back to Brum in the evening. You could end up in 'no mans land' living in between because you'll proably find all you do is sleep in your house and be travelling everywhere else for everything else. The traffic down that way is as bad as most of the south, so even though distance wise it doesn't look much, time wise a few miles could take you longer than you think.

If you live close, there are some nice places just to the west of Southampton - you're on the edge of the new forest there. Or you can move right on to the coast.

Good luck in your decision making - ultimately it will be what you make it - moving away from everything you know is scary, but if you are prepared to work at making it a success, I'm sure you will make a great new life for yourself. x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Either Swindon or Southampton!

I am Southampton born and bred, and I lived in Swindon from the age of 8/9 till I was 16! I like both places.

Not really very helpful! Sorry!
very helpful............Thanks very much.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Having done long distance commutes for quite a bit of my life, I'd say live closer to work and do your travelling at weekends to see family and friends.

IMO moving half way in between is not one thing or the other - you'll not want to go out with people from work in the evening as you'll have a long treck home but you'll also be too far away to go back to Brum in the evening. You could end up in 'no mans land' living in between because you'll proably find all you do is sleep in your house and be travelling everywhere else for everything else. The traffic down that way is as bad as most of the south, so even though distance wise it doesn't look much, time wise a few miles could take you longer than you think.

If you live close, there are some nice places just to the west of Southampton - you're on the edge of the new forest there. Or you can move right on to the coast.

Good luck in your decision making - ultimately it will be what you make it - moving away from everything you know is scary, but if you are prepared to work at making it a success, I'm sure you will make a great new life for yourself. x
Thanks for the reply appreciated...
What nice place west of southampton.....please I need names of places........please.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Where abouts in Southampton would your job be?

Botley is a nice, so is Fair Oak. Not sure whether they are North, East, South, West Southampton, will ask my Dad when I speak to him tomorrow.

Am thinking about nice places in Swindon, Purton, a village outside Swindon is okay, but theres a secondary school there, so gets quite busy with buses etc. I'll ask my Mum, she's more clued up than me.

I prefer Southampton though, the New Forest isn't far down the road, and there are more country parks that have nice dog walks.

Hope thats a bit more helpful. Will keep thinking as well.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Eastleigh outside outside Southampton........