View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:37 AM

worried and a bit tearful (loss of confidence after accident or physical problem?)

Hi,
Well after his accident ziggie has been given the all clear by the vet (twice) and we've gradually built him back up over low jumps doing a little bit every day with no problem. Yesterday he went back for his first proper training session. We kept a close eye on him and he was fine. But then yesterday evening he was grumpy, the same overnight and this morning. Back to the vets - still got the all clear. It's not like him to grump and he's just laid under my desk again. I'm thinking about taking him to a canine chiropracter to have him checked over. I know it's only been just over two weeks since its happened so maybe i'm expecting recovery to fast, in all other ways he's fine and training at home he's fine no grumps at all even though he did pretty much the same work at home the day before. Where he banged his head the furs grown back cream instead of red and even though he's been checked out twice i'm not convinced his heads ok. If theres nothing physical which it doesn't look like there is I think it must be training (albeit not in a new place) somewhere else. He was working very close to me which he doesn't normally (we're usually at different ends of the course seem as how he's a speed freak and i'm speed challenged!). It looks like its a confidence thing and we're going to have to take a time out to build him up again I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it, he's a great dog but its been like taking two steps forward and three steps back his whole life and I just feel like taking him upstairs and hiding under the duvet with him
Sorry to go on
H xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
He's gone from this;

to this;

You can even see he's not happy
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Awwwww H, sorry to hear the zigmeister isn't his usual self

Poor man has probably lost a bit of his confidence after his terrible episode. Can't believe the claxon moron!! If you'd feel more at ease by taking him to see a chiropracter for a second opinion then I'd go for it. He could have jarred all his muscles and bones with the impact of the crash. Poor wee lamb. That piccy has brought a lump in my throat. Big hugs to you and Ziggy - Danny sends licks and chews too xxxxxxx ((((((hugs))))))))
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
poor ziggy and You!...his confidence may be seriously shaken and he may be distressed from this, buil d him up slowly...maybe let him watch for a while till he relaxes there, it maybe worth getting a scan done incase ther is any damage.... Im sorry i cant suggest anything else....

OOh forgot,.....whta about bach remedy?

Alex
xx
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Aww poor Ziggy, I'd give it another couple of weeks probably before he come back to his usual self, the crash probably knocked his confidence a lot and he's feeling a bit fearful for a while. Kelpies are softies underneath their tough outlook and he's probably just feeling a bit touchy. I hope he bounces back soon for you, but I would just recommend nothing but time, lots of TLC and quality time with you. He'll soon get his confidence back and will be zooming round the course like his normal self
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
thanks minks - now you made me cry! I just feel so sorry for him, he gets over one thing and something else like that stupid b*****d happens. His confidence is really low anyway, i'm meeting my mum at the supermarket later and i'm going to take him along, he spent alot of time there as a pup working on building his confidence and he usually enjoys it (and gets a free sausage roll from the bakery!). I just don't know what to do for the best for him. I don't think it can be physical otherwise he'd have had the same problems training at home as well In a way I wish it was as it'd be easier to get it sorted out
H xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Awww Kick, I am sorry to hear that Ziggie isn't back to his normal ziggy self yet Perhaps he does need a bit more time to recover. Does he seem miserable when on walks or is he okay then? I hope he gets back to normal soon for both your sakes cos I know how much you love each other ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS TO BOTH OF YOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
poor ziggy and You!...his confidence may be seriously shaken and he may be distressed from this, buil d him up slowly...maybe let him watch for a while till he relaxes there, it maybe worth getting a scan done incase ther is any damage.... Im sorry i cant suggest anything else....

OOh forgot,.....whta about bach remedy?

Alex
xx

Hi Alex,
Yes i'd thought about a scan particularly for his head but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks til I get paid - they said they won't do one until then anyway so as to give it time to settle.
Thanks H xx
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
thanks minks - now you made me cry! I just feel so sorry for him, he gets over one thing and something else like that stupid b*****d happens. His confidence is really low anyway, i'm meeting my mum at the supermarket later and i'm going to take him along, he spent alot of time there as a pup working on building his confidence and he usually enjoys it (and gets a free sausage roll from the bakery!). I just don't know what to do for the best for him. I don't think it can be physical otherwise he'd have had the same problems training at home as well In a way I wish it was as it'd be easier to get it sorted out
H xx
AWwwww no tears, wee man needs your strength Mrs! Like the others say, build him up, plenty of hugs and company and I'm sure he'll be strutting his boot funkiness before you know it. Don't give up honey, it's just a little setback xxxxxx Danny says Ziggy needs to come spend time with him, he'll sort him out and make him a right hard man
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Willow
Aww poor Ziggy, I'd give it another couple of weeks probably before he come back to his usual self, the crash probably knocked his confidence a lot and he's feeling a bit fearful for a while. Kelpies are softies underneath their tough outlook and he's probably just feeling a bit touchy. I hope he bounces back soon for you, but I would just recommend nothing but time, lots of TLC and quality time with you. He'll soon get his confidence back and will be zooming round the course like his normal self

Hiya,
Yeah they are big softies - everybody thinks he's a rough and ready dog when really he's like a floppy marshmallow. I was expecting his confidence to be knocked but he just looks so damned miserable . Lots and lots of hugs for him. Taking him to watch would be even more damaging I think as when he can't join in he thinks he's done something wrong and gets really really low (to the extent of slinking back into the van and hiding his head). We change onto nights next week and i've talked to our trainer, we think we're going to take him up an hour early before anyone else gets there and just let him have a little play around on his own with one of her dogs (who he loves).
Thanks H xx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »