Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 11:51 PM

Protector?... Or idiot?

There are two male rottweilers, who are regulars to the local park. When Jake was younger, he was fine with them and liked to play with the younger one. Since he has matured though, he is very wary of them. I think this is because there are two of them, and they are both males. He has met rottweilers before, and been fine with them but the other times there has only been one (both males and females).

Today, we were walking round with a group of walkers and their dogs. There were Louie, Darwin and Ziggy (they are the dogs by the way ), and I had Jake and Paddy. Then, the two rottweilers came in, and our paths crossed. Paddy was on the lead, but I left Jake off coz he usually will keep his own distance that he feels comfortable with.

Jake was pacing, with his hackles up and whining but keeping a distance away from them. I walked back a bit to keep Paddy away, coz he would snap at them if they came close enough. Then, the two rotties went up to Louie, Jake ran forwards about 10 feet, and barked and then ran away again. Then the rotties went to Darwin and Ziggy, and again, Jake ran at them. This time though, he ran right up to them, and went crazy. He was barking, lunging and snapping (but didn’t make any contact). I called him, and he came immediately.

I have NEVER seen him like that… we were discussing it afterwards, and it was like Jake was trying to be a wee protector and chase the rotties away. If it is just him around the rotties, he will keep a distance but today was the first time in about a year we have been near them with other dogs. I really don’t think he liked them being around his ‘pack’ (if I dare say that word ). I don’t like him reacting like that, but it was quite sweet. He is a big scaredy cat, and you could see he was really trying to be brave but just lacked the courage.

I will need to keep him away from them though, if that situation arises again He was very good though, when I called. He did something similar with Louie before, the infamous Rocky attacked him. Jake used to be terrified of Rocky, but he isn’t anymore… he just has the sense to keep away from him, but doesn’t get all stressed. Well, when Rocky attacked Louie, I had Jake on lead and was quite a distance away, and as soon as Rocky started, Jake went crazy barking and lunging. Rocky stopped immediately, and Louie’s owner is convinced that Jake was the reason Rocky stopped when he did. After seeing him today I think that, had he been off lead, he would have done that same to Rocky, as what he did with the rottweilers.

So, what does everyone else think? Could Jake be trying to be protector (just without the courage )? I have never seen a dog behaving the way Jake did, given what he is usually like...
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 12:28 AM
awww go Jake brave wee soul!!

I'm afraid I have no insights to add to the behaviour, other than that sounds really cute
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

I'm afraid I have no insights to add to the behaviour, other than that sounds really cute
I agree it made me smile

Of course you are doing the right thing - you know this is a possibility now so you just dont put him in the situation again

Its pretty difficult to really know what is going on in their heads but sounds like he is v uncomfy with these other dogs around - and he was being a brave wee soul trying to sort out something he didnt like

Does he try and get between dogs when they are playing too hard and stuff?
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Definitely protector!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I think the dog was just uncomfortable, not protecting you from anything.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2011, 08:11 AM
ditto....................

the behaviour you are describing for jake is distance creation.
the end result you saw was the culmination of a chain of behaviours earlier from the walk and probably previous walks.

he is telling the rotties to keep their distance from his group and himself.
this is probably rooted in his anxiety over these dogs, not a sense of protectiveness as such.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

That is what I thought too

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I agree it made me smile

Of course you are doing the right thing - you know this is a possibility now so you just dont put him in the situation again

Its pretty difficult to really know what is going on in their heads but sounds like he is v uncomfy with these other dogs around - and he was being a brave wee soul trying to sort out something he didnt like

Does he try and get between dogs when they are playing too hard and stuff?
Yeah, I know what you mean. He tried to get in between when they went up to Darwin and Ziggy, and then Darwin came over and stood with us

Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Definitely protector!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think the dog was just uncomfortable, not protecting you from anything.
I didn't say he was protecting me from anything

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

the end result you saw was the culmination of a chain of behaviours earlier from the walk and probably previous walks.

this is probably rooted in his anxiety over these dogs, not a sense of protectiveness as such.
But, usually when he is close to them himself, then he just keeps a happy distance and doesn't bother with them. They have been around when we have walked with other people and dogs (we see them a lot, them being regulars) but they have never been up close to the other dogs like that when Jake has been there before (a lot of people avoid them, not because they are rottweilers but because of their size, people worry about them accidently hurting their dog)... I really don't think he liked them being around the other dogs, not just himself coz, like I said, he usually keeps his own happy distance.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:34 AM
In my experience dogs can and do act differently (and sometimes out of character) when they are in a pack, and it sounds to me as though Jake was a bit fearful of the two Rotts but felt more confident in approaching them due to the other "pack members" - hence the barking then running away scenario.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:42 AM
my dads oldest yorkie does this she is the mum and the other 3 are her pups that dad has taken back over the years for a variety of reasons. if another dog comes over she rounds the 3 up and then keeps the other dog well away from them. shes a formidable madame ive seen her shoo away huge dogs and my phoebe she then checks her babes all over its the same as when they were wee puppies shes never changed her behaviour towards them

shes 13 and 2 babes are 8 and the other is 6
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

is that not the same thing? Why do people in cities like Johannesburg spend so much on security? Because they are anxious.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >