Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
caos34
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Border Terrier will not walk

I have a 17 wk old Border Terrier who will not walk past the end of the drive. He's fine once we eventually get to our destination, the beach or green, and can run around for ages and then when he knows he is going home he pulls on his lead until we're back in the house. I find myself giving him treats every couple of metres just to get down the street. I realise he's a puppy but this is week 4/5 of being outside and if he were apprehensive surely he would not be able to run around off lead on the beach or walk home as he does? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Does he like squeaky balls? If so, have you tried exciting him with them while you walk, ie squeaking them? Occasionally give it to him to squeak it himself before moving on.

Another way is to toss a treat out in front of you so that he moves forward to get the treat. Gradually increase distance between thrown treat until he is confidently walking without them