Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maggie B
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Right dosage!

Hi I'm new to the forums and could do with some advice. I've been told I can use Glucosamine Sulphate on my miniature dachshund who has back problems - ongoing for a few years now we put him right with doses of Meloxidyl (pain relief) and have used Ester C which is very good - then he manages to hurt his back again so we start again. I have recently found out that dogs can also take Glucosamine but I'm not sure of the correct dosage to use? Does anyone know? thanks Maggie.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 11:04 PM
The best person to advise you is your own vet and you would know exactly how much you were giving was correct
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 08:04 AM
You could also shop around online for a supplement formulated for dogs. It would make for easy dosing. Plus, most of the dog supplements will combine several useful supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM to name a few. Probably better off buying from a respected online pharmacy, they usually have a better selection than pet stores. Your vet may carry something but its likely to be more expensive and as they are considered nutriceuticals, they dont' require a prescription.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 08:16 AM
It's really important to get the right dosage for your dogs otherwise if you give too little it won't really do anything.
This is the dosage recommended:-

Amount of Glucosamine per daily dose for
10 pound pet: 156 mg
30 pound pet: 312 mg
75 pound pet: 625 mg
125 pound pet: 1250 mg

Some sources recommend giving a higher dose in the first couple of weeks to load them up.
I must say that I have a collie with congenital bad hips and she's still going well at 11 years of age and I'm sure it's the glucosamine. Also I have an ex-racing greyhound with an untreated injury to her front shoulder and she was in pain when we got her and couldn't run properly, in fact we couldn't even touch her without her wincing. I put her on glucosamine tablets and it's already in her food (Iams Large Breed) and now she's running like mad and playing with my other 4 with no pain!!
It may be a coincidence but all 5 of my dogs are on it and they're all doing very well.
Also keep your dog on it forever...it apparently has no known side effects.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 08:22 AM
When one of my dogs was diagnosed with a joint condition, the vet recommended joint supplements containing glucosamine. chondroitin, MSM etc. But he also commented that I would be wasting my money just getting dog treats or chews that say they contain glucosamine. In order for joint supplements to work effectively:
  • they must be given in a dose that is high enough to make a difference ~ most dog treats/chews etc don't contain a high enough dose so make absolutely no difference & are a waste of your money.
  • they must be given in a form that be absorbed & used by the dog ~ it is the active ingredients that make a difference & the other substances that they are combined with that make the glucosamine absorbable & usable. In other words some of the cheaper inactive forms are also a waste of money.
  • at the beginning you need to give a higher dose, say 3 tablets a day for the first 6 weeks, then reduce to a maintenance dose of 2 a day thereafter.

My vet recommended Cosequin which is specially formulated for dogs & contains the correct dosage in the correct form. Having said that, the vet practice wanted to charge double the price at which I could buy the Cosequin online. So now I just order from a reputable online vet suppliers. Cosequin comes in tablet form or capsules that twist apart so the powder can be sprinkled on food. It also comes in different strengths according the dog's weight so is cheaper for small dogs.

If you google cosequin you'll be able to fnd suppliers & check out prices & see the strength you need according to your dog's weight.
Maggie B
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Good idea thanks for that, I'm going to ring my vet this morning to find out the correct dose but won't buy from them, as you say the medications from vets are always very expensive. This is the third time Max's back has gone and we've always managed to put him right even when at first his bowls pack up - we use micralax enema for a couple of days and that sorts them out. We love him to bits and our biggest fear is that one day they will pack up altogether, but that's something we will have to deal with. So many people just give up on their animals when their backs go - back legs collapse and they take them to the vet and have them put down. This is very sad because there is so much you can do if you invest the time on your pet. Pain relief/joint meds/enema if necessary and positive thinking/behaviour helps an animal as much as a human. Also physically helping them stand on their useless back legs for a few moments a day helps strengthen their muscles. We are four years down the line with Max's back problems and he is still with us happy as a sand boy when he's put right (I'm adding these tips for anyone with the same problem) and to say please don't give up on your pet without a fight. Thank you again Maggie.
Maggie B
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi zoe1969 so pleased you've given me the dosage amounts as I rung my vet this morning but they've not got back to me obviously not into giving free advice! Sounds as if glucosamine has done your two dogs the world of good and nice to know Max can take it continually with no side effects. Going to start him on it today, thanks.