View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I would rather have a family member or friend look after our 2, my OH and I are going away for a few days for our honeymoon and going to try or family and friends, if not they will have to go into kennels but any other time they come with us!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Teagan is going to kennels next week.
She doesnt seem to mind - she has been in multiple times for week/fortnight, and she used to come for the day when I worked in kennels.
She never seems any different after going in kennels!
She is quite used to being left on her own when I am at work anyway.
I don't have family who can look after her, either in their house or mine - not only do they not have room, they have their own dogs, and Teagan is agressive towards other dogs in enclosed areas, especially houses.
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Morgan and Blue are going into kennels next week for 2 weeks. I have used the same kennels for 7 years and the dogs are great there. They kennel them together and they seem happy, thats all I can ask for. As I am the only one who walks them I would worry if I left them with anyone else. This way I know they are well looked after and are safe. Mind you I always make my OH take them and I pick them up.
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I've struggled with the idea of putting my babies in kennels... I always wonder whether the staff have any experience with my particular breed, whether or not they know what to do if something goes wrong... I dunno. I get panicky I suppose.

One of these days I'm sure the boys will have to go in kennels for a night or two, but I'm clinging onto them or leaving them at my mums til that happens! =D
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm very lucky, I have a friend who runs a dog'sitting business and she comes round and dog sits when we go away. Good job too really, coz we can now have our holidays together, instead of separate holidays, because we could never leave our dogs in kennels after a very bad experience many years ago which I won't go into. Apart from that, my current dog is a rescue, and he's been in and out enough of kennels and it would probably do him in psychologically, he'd think he had been dumped again, so it would be totally out of the question for this one I have now.

I'm sure some kennels are fine for some dogs, especially if they're used to going in there, but for me, I prefer my house-sitter and I'm very lucky to have her!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I think it depends on the kennels and on the dog to be honest. Years ago we used to put our 3 dogs into our local kennels if we didn't take them with us and they had a really good time there. Always pleased to see the lady but always pleased to come out.

My mum has tried a couple of local kennels with her dog, as a day trial, and one of them he particularly seemed to like the lady. My mum lives some distance away from us so if she needs to go out for the day Ollie happily goes to the kennels, huge waggy tail when he gets there.

I would never ever put Max in kennels though. He is very nervous in nature, gets stressed by unfamiliar situations, isn't good with other dogs, isn't good with people he doesn't know it just would not be fair on him or whomever was looking after. I am lucky that my Dad is always willing to have him if we need to go out for a day.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 04:20 PM
We recently put Max and Murphy in kennels for a day whilst we were in Scotland. We were off deer stalking, so couldn't take them with us.

They've never been in kennels before, so were understandably a bit nervous. They followed Hilary (one of the owners) round for a lot of the time, during "play time", but did have a good run and play in the secured paddock area with other dogs.

I would have no hesitation in putting them in kennels if we had to (but mostly we go away in the UK, either camping or renting, so they come with us).

2 large, bouncy, boisterous dogs is a lot to leave someone with, even a friend! I know that in a pinch their breeder would have them to stay, but with 4 dogs, 3 horses and 3 cats (and the kids and OH and a full time job) she has enough on her hands without my 2 trouble makers...
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I've never had the need to put my dogs in kennels, I'm lucky that when I go away it is to stay with my friend who is very dog orientated so Nova and Tern, always came with me. The others stay at home and my daughter moves in and stays with them.

If you do your research, check out the kennels and try and get some word of mouth references there shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately some dogs just don't kennel well through no fault of the kennel owners. I feel especially sorry for those dog owners as their holidays are limited if they can't get a family member or friend to do the honours!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I have never put my dogs in kennels..and only go on holidays where the dogs can come with us.. If we have to go anywhere as a family they come with us..or one of us stays home..

My dogs are part of my family so go everywhere with us..I simply don't trust anyone with my dogs...

Hubby is lucky if he gets to walk them LOL..
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 05:40 AM
My three have been in kennels during holidays, and have suffered no ill effects whatsoever

Now I have a sitter, but if she couldn't accomodate me, then I would have no hesitation in using the kennels again.

My one is a bit pricey, but that's my only adverse comment

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >