Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Someone once said to me that a problem was only a problem if the owner perceived it as a problem.

rune
Oh, I like that. And it`s very true.
Life is so much easier if you don`t stress about dogs leaping on furniture / shedding / playing / being young / being old / being greedy...... all those things that are totally natural but impinge on our well-ordered existence.
I see an issue as something that affects health and safety. So I don`t want a dog jumping at kids because (1) he might hurt the kid and (2) the dog might get into trouble.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I always work on....calm...relax....and speak softly not bellowing those three things work wonders with these often find myself telling Pat...calm and relax...calm and relax he has a mini panic every so often
I can't walk Louie with my OH - he panics too much and I bellow and shout instead of doing what I normally do on my own or with friends. I don't see it as an issue anymore - if I can hear him - if I lose sight or sound of him, then I call him back.. whereas OH hates not being able to see the dogs..
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Me and my hubby argue when we walk the dogs together quite a bit, it's his laid back attitude vs me stressing...and I guess the issues I see with Keisha, the things he doesn't believe are issues, I'm constantly, "for gods sake, check her, keep her by your side, watch out for that man..." Poor fella!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

<<Someone once said to me that a problem was only a problem if the owner perceived it as a problem.>>

I think that is spot on.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

The issues my dogs have are not really issues to me, but would be to alot of people, I guess. Ollie's fear aggression is an issue, as I have to constantly manage him in situations around other people and dogs.

But the deafness isn't an issue for me at all, I prefer it. Boo's resource guarding wasn't an issue, I solved it easily, but if I couldn't solve it, I would have managed it.

Zoe's fear/paranoia and shut down personality is not an issue, we just let her be, (though I have never been so emotional over a dog... she made me cry constantly, but in the next moment, I could be doing a happy dance over some small thing like taking a treat with me in the same room, or hearing her bark)

I guess it's only an issue if you are uncomfortable with it.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I think any 'issues' are about tolerance and how they are perceived by you or others. The 'issues' my lurcher has would be a problem to many people, for me they are not but still have to be dealt with sensibly. I dont see any of his in bred instincts as an issue , I know they exist and manage them accordingly e.g. chase instinct. His reactivity to other dogs at times is managable for me but would be an issue for others as it takes time , patience and effort to manage.For me there are no issues that cant be overcome , they all have solutions albeit the solution sometimes may not be what you would like to happen. Its about recognising the issue in question and ensuring you apply a good solution that is safe and productive for all concerned.

Great quote about dealing with issues !

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
For me a dog that attacks others just for looking at them, walking too close to them or their prize possessions is an issue, and it needs resolving. It's an issue because there's no telling who or what will be the object of their ire. It's an issue when seperating them results in you getting bitten, resulting in medical attention and having bruises that last for weeks. It's an issue when the dog they are attacking has the ability to crush their skull with little effort. It's an issue because they don't realise how much danger they are putting themselves in. Dogs that can't be trusted around kids at all are an issue. Not all issues are the same but these are about the only things I refer to as issues.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Highly unpredictable aggression..

Most issues can be managed (if the owner is so inclned) including predictable
aggression.

Trite comments re "there are no issues that cannot be overcome" merely demonstrate lack of knowledge and experience of individuals and can also load an intolerable level of guilt onto those who are told "there is no such thing as bad dogs only bad owners".

Total codswallop put about by those who are not exposed to extremely dangerous dogs which cannot be rehabilitated SAFELY to anyone anywhere.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I think an 'issue' to me is something serious behavioural-wise that seriously affects the lives of others (specifically the owner's). For example, I wouldn't consider something like occasionally chewing shoes to be an issue but I would certainly think it was an 'issue' if the dog was aggressively guarding the shoes.

Personally I'd say Molly came with issues as I couldn't have her around guests for a very long time because she would just go for them. It was only 6 months ago (A year after I got her) that this finally stopped.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Highly unpredictable aggression..

Most issues can be managed (if the owner is so inclned) including predictable
aggression.

Trite comments re "there are no issues that cannot be overcome" merely demonstrate lack of knowledge and experience of individuals and can also load an intolerable level of guilt onto those who are told "there is no such thing as bad dogs only bad owners".

Total codswallop put about by those who are not exposed to extremely dangerous dogs which cannot be rehabilitated SAFELY to anyone anywhere.
That! has got to be one of the worst sayings.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >