Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Wormers causing sickness?

Kiba's just been sick twice in 15 minutes...I wormed him earlier today with Drontal Plus...could this have caused him to be sick and what should I do about worming now? I couldn't see the tablets in the sick but have no clue if they've been absorbed or not...
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
Kiba's just been sick twice in 15 minutes...I wormed him earlier today with Drontal Plus...could this have caused him to be sick and what should I do about worming now? I couldn't see the tablets in the sick but have no clue if they've been absorbed or not...
The Drontal wormers always make Monty sick as well. We used them for a while and after the third occasion of him being sick it was obvious it was the wormer's so he's now on different one that the vet gave us.

In regards to whether the tablet has been absorbed or not - our vet advised us that it was dependant on how long ago the tablet was taken. We used to give Monty his around midday and he would always throw up late in the evening or after we'd gone to bed so the vet said they probably would've taken effect by then.

If unsure I would just give the vet a call when you can and ask their advice.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:58 PM
They can make them sick. But i think it's been long enough for it to have been absorbed so i wouldn't give anymore xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I used to use cheap wormers (Canac I think) and they always made the dogs sick. Then I moved on to Drontal and they've been fine.

If it's been several hours between worming and then being sick I wouldn't re-worm as it's probably taken effect.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 07:47 AM
one of my NIs had vomiting and diarrhoea in the past after drontal. I now worm all of mine with panacur granules.. i just mix them in their food. Never had any problems since. I dont think you can over worm a dog... check with your vet for advice whether to re worm him.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. After the first 30 minutes of the 'sick face' and vomiting bile Kiba was absolutely fine and there's been no sickness since. I will check with the vet on monday as to whether I need to re-worm him but there was no evidence of the tablets in the sick