Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2014, 05:06 AM

I Just Saw A SPIRIT!

Spirit Bear that is!

For those not in the know; a Spirit Bear is a black bear that is all white. (Or off-white.) Their real name is Kermode Bear. On Princess Royal Island here where I live; one out of every ten black bears is born white. They aren't albinos; they have dark eyes and black noses, they're just white black bears. Isn't that an oxymoron??? (In technical mumbo jumbo; it's due to a double recessive gene that randomly expresses itself.)

I was talking to a couple visitors who just popped in, and one of them asked if I had a second cat, because she could see something way off on the far shore moving around. I took a look and my heart jumped straight into my mouth! It was my first Spirit Bear! Woo-hoo! I had waited more than three years for this! And I was jazzed! So I excused myself and sprinted up to the cabin for my video camera, and set it up on the tripod when I got back down to the wharf. I was lucky enough to get more than 15 minutes of video; ten of which were usable. (I was cursing and snarling under my breath every time I had to pan or tilt the camera, because my tripod is a P.O.S.) It sticks as I turn it, then jumps like 20 degrees; then I have to zoom back out to find my target and try to keep it in the camera's view as I zoom back in again. P.I.T.A.!

Anyways, after the excitement was over I hurried back to the cabin to shorten the video and edit the jumps and twitches out of it. I ended up with a 10 minute video that is uploading to YouTube as I type.

Here's a few screen captures from the vid.

I was feeling mighty lucky; as you can imagine! Lou, the previous caretaker had a bunch of vids of her, (she's a she ) but lost them all when he sank his boat in December; so he'll be quite happy when I send him a copy. And I AM happy that I'm able to send him that copy. What a delight it was to see, I just can't explain.

Anyhoo, I'll post the link to the vid when it's done uploading.

Righty then, I just wanted to share my uber good fortune, and delight!

Cheers!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Wow what a privilege to see such a rare and beautiful creature Absolutely stunning!! At first glance it looks like a polar bear

The name 'Spirit Bear' really does sum her up and it must be so unusual to have a 'white' black animal and for it not to be albino

Thank you for sharing these amazing photos with us ..... I always know I'm in for a treat when I see your name appear on a thread here on the forum. Your predecessor will be really appreciative.

I really look forward to seeing the video.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Wow. Well worth the wait, thank you for sharing it with us.
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Thanky-thanky! I certainly feel privileged! And I hope that I'll have the privilege to see her again sometime.

Anyhoo, here's the vid!

It's still a little shaky in spots, but if I get the chance I promise I'll do better!

Thanx again!

Cheers!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Great video and she is looking in really good condition considering she has only shortly come out of winter. What a treat for us all .... thank you
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Thank you sooo much for posting the pics and video of Spirit (bear) has made my day
What An amazing sight to witness
PS the music suited the video so well too
I Keep going back for another look
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Brilliant!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Wow! Dunno if it's just my monitor but in those first two pics the bear appears to be 'glowing'?

Off to watch the vid now.

Fantastic. How priviliged you are to witness such a creature in the wild.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 09:20 AM
WOW!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!

You must have been besides yourself with excitement. You could be forgiven if you thought it was a polar bear, she is stunning .

You are so lucky to live where you do.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Awesome, wonderful, brilliant, amazing!!!!! All been used before, but what else can I say
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >