Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I've said I'd rather not. He finds it very stressful at the vets, especially in confinement and would rather have him home with me. I know the signs and he's not that bad, as per above otherwise I'm sure they would have insisted I left him there, right?
Pidge I can really relate to how you feel (hug) and I have discussed this point with the vet on a number of occasions.
When a dog is really poorly even if they don't normally like going to the vets it can be in their best interests that they stay there for a little while.

Of course a vet can't insist you leave a dog with them. There have been occasions like the time when Amy was very poorly with a tummy problem that I wanted to have her at home and was sure I could look after her better than anyone. However I asked the vet what was best for her and she stayed at the vets on a drip for 4 days, I was relieved in the end that she did because she collapsed and went down hill so quickly, without the drip I feel we would have lost her.

If Woody has to stay at the vets try to think that he is in the best place...xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Pidge I can really relate to how you feel (hug) and I have discussed this point with the vet on a number of occasions.
When a dog is really poorly even if they don't normally like going to the vets it can be in their best interests that they stay there for a little while.

Of course a vet can't insist you leave a dog with them. There have been occasions like the time when Amy was very poorly with a tummy problem that I wanted to have her at home and was sure I could look after her better than anyone. However I asked the vet what was best for her and she stayed at the vets on a drip for 4 days, I was relieved in the end that she did because she collapsed and went down hill so quickly, without the drip I feel we would have lost her.

If Woody has to stay at the vets try to think that he is in the best place...xx
Thanks Mini. I think they're working on the basis that as long as he is able to settle (slightly) and is drinking (which he is) then he's OK for now.

I've taken today as unpaid now as didn't want to leave him at all. He's on his bed snoozing so he's comfortable for now.

One thing I hope you all understand is that if the vet told me they feel it's necc' for him to be in, he's in. I wouldn't go against their advice. They offered me the option and they know me well enough to trust my instincts and judgement on him (we've been there enough times!! ;o)
Meg
Supervisor

16-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Mini. I think they're working on the basis that as long as he is able to settle (slightly) and is drinking (which he is) then he's OK for now.

I've taken today as unpaid now as didn't want to leave him at all. He's on his bed snoozing so he's comfortable for now.

One thing I hope you all understand is that if the vet told me they feel it's necc' for him to be in, he's in. I wouldn't go against their advice. They offered me the option and they know me well enough to trust my instincts and judgement on him (we've been there enough times!! ;o)
..I know you wouldn't Pidge I am just very concerned about Woody , I guess Woody is a bit close to home for me because he is so like my sons springer Zak in many ways.

I do hope things improve soon , give Woody a gentle hug from me.. x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Well he is of course your dog, if he were mine, he would be at the Vets now.

Metoclopramide should have stopped him being sick, it concerns me he has started again. Id be thinking possible obstruction, or as they say, a severe GI bug, however the drug usually does stop the sickness in GI cases. What also concerns me is you now say he is drinking, but has also been sick a huge amount, together with losing fluid from drooling, he is in danger of becoming dehydrated.

Regardless of Woodys reluctance to be examined, Id have him there and stay there until his condition is correctly diagnosed. But thats me.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:17 PM
..I know you wouldn't Pidge I am just very concerned about Woody , I guess Woody is a bit close to home for me because he is so like Zak in many ways.

I do hope things improve soon , give Woody a gentle hug from me.. x
Thanks Mini. Really kind of you to be so concerend about my lil guy.

I'd pass on the hugs buy am avoiding the drool for now xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Metoclopramide should have stopped him being sick, it concerns me he has started again. Id be thinking possible obstruction, or as they say, a severe GI bug, however the drug usually does stop the sickness. What also concerns me is you now say he is drinking, but has also been sick a huge amount, together with losing fluid from drooling, he is in danger of becoming dehydrated.

Regardless of Woodys reluctance to be examined, Id have him there and stay there until his condition is correctly diagnosed. But thats me.
The anti sick jab begins with an S? It was administered about 8pm last night and should last for 24 hours. It's obviously wearing off.

Yep, I know what you mean Dawn and I shared your concerns with the vet earlier when I updated them on the latest. They have told me they don't feel the need to have him back in again yet, but if he goes down, stops drinking or is sick again then to call back.

They seem pretty convinced it's a bug rather than obstruction but hard to say for sure at this stage and are avoiding sedation if they can.

I can't force them to have him in, if they are happy it's not necc' I have to go with it. His gums look normal (there are pin pricks of ulcers that are indicative of some kind of trauma she thinks, but pale, not bright) and his eyes are normal. Skin felt good too so not sure what else I can do. I'm in their hands now.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Metoclopramide should have stopped him being sick, it concerns me he has started again. Id be thinking possible obstruction, or as they say, a severe GI bug, however the drug usually does stop the sickness in GI cases. What also concerns me is you now say he is drinking, but has also been sick a huge amount, together with losing fluid from drooling, he is in danger of becoming dehydrated.

That would be my worry also, its the dehydration that is the thing to worry over.

He may be drinking Pidge, but if he sicking it all up again, then his fluid intake is minimal.

If he has not improved by this evening, (before vets close) then I would at least give them a call, to talk over your worries.
Meg
Supervisor

16-11-2010, 03:24 PM

.....and that's me too but then I am a bit of a bossy boots and couldn't sit back for long waiting for things to improve with those kind of symptoms.
For me where dogs and vets are concerned better to over react than act to late..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That would be my worry also, its the dehydration that is the thing to worry over.

He may be drinking Pidge, but if he sicking it all up again, then his fluid intake is minimal.

If he has not improved by this evening, (before vets close) then I would at least give them a call, to talk over your worries.
.....and that's me too but then I am a bit of a bossy boots and couldn't sit back for long waiting for things to improve with those kind of symptoms.
For me where dogs and vets are concerned better to over react than act to late..
So what am I looking out for with dehydration?

Can I just call them and tell them I'm worried then? I don't want to have to put him through sedation etc if it's not necc!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:28 PM
The anti sick jab begins with an S? It was administered about 8pm last night and should last for 24 hours. It's obviously wearing off.

Yep, I know what you mean Dawn and I shared your concerns with the vet earlier when I updated them on the latest. They have told me they don't feel the need to have him back in again yet, but if he goes down, stops drinking or is sick again then to call back.

They seem pretty convinced it's a bug rather than obstruction but hard to say for sure at this stage and are avoiding sedation if they can.

I can't force them to have him in, if they are happy it's not necc' I have to go with it. His gums look normal (there are pin pricks of ulcers that are indicative of some kind of trauma she thinks, but pale, not bright) and his eyes are normal. Skin felt good too so not sure what else I can do. I'm in their hands now.
There are many generic names, its all the same type of drug, an anti-emetic.

I appreciate what you are saying Pidge, but if Woody were here, it would be him in their hands not me. I hope he feels better soon.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »