Our sister sites
Our sister sites
helenrome
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2009, 11:57 PM

panic attack or something more serious?

Hi everyone,
this evening my partner took out our 4 year old dog for a walk, and he had what seems to have been a kind of seizure he fell to the ground and started paddling his legs, no frothing or rapid eye movements though and it lasted about 10 seconds. This has happened before when he was about 7months old but the cause was fireworks and then another time about 2 and a half years ago whilst playing with a doggy friend, (I think he got over excited).
Tonight however, there seems to be no obvious sign. He is quite a fearful dog and not happy about being outside at night...could this be panic/fear or something more serious? Any suggestions? Thanks Helen (and Bichoo)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Epilepsy I would imagine.

It can be brought on by stress but I was told that even if if starts as a stress reaction it can then come on at any time.

I'd go and chat to your vet.

rune
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Epilepsy I would imagine.

It can be brought on by stress but I was told that even if if starts as a stress reaction it can then come on at any time.

I'd go and chat to your vet.

rune
I knew a dog with this and am sorry to say it sounds just the same- hers was bad and it happened a lot through- it was horrid as we were just always told to leave her and get out the way as she would snap etc when coming out of it- I was only a child at the time.
Rest of the time she was a wonderful dog.
helenrome
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for your suggestions rune and tabsmagic.
My fellow has never been aggressive though and nor has he been disorientated after and certainly the first attack that he had was panic associated with fireworks exploding nearby in daylight...the 2nd I put down to over excitement on a hot roman summers day.
It's tonight's episode that it a little more worrying as there was no obvious provocation . The fact that he has had just 2 paddling leg attacks (the one playing was not) leads me to think that maybe it's a fear related convulsion rather than epilepsy. Epilepsy is a neurological disorder and apparently more frequent
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Epilepsy can be extremely infrequent if it's mild. Please get your dog checked by your vet.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 06:57 AM
It certainly sounds like some kind of seizure... I agree with the others... get him checked out by the vet.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2009, 08:39 AM
It sounds like epilepsy to me too, my cocker spaniel was diagnosed with it many years ago and seemed to have a very mild form of it. He only ever had a couple of attacks and they were basically falling down, and appearing dazed for a few moments and then carrying on as normal. In fact if it hadn't happened while out walking we may never have noticed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 08:59 AM
hi
how very scary for you
it does sound like a siezure,i would take a trip to the vets to rule out any other medical condition.
it really helps the vet if you take note of as many things as possible,ie..when did the fit occur (after food,excerise,resting etc)
if it is idiopathic epilepsy and the siezures are infrequent your vet may choose not to medicate.
if it happens again,take all stimuli away(tv/radio off,pull curtains,lights etc) and i know this bit is difficult,try not to talk to him,just make sure he cannot hurt himself,he will not be aware it is happening so try to think that while it is happening.
good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Agree with all that`s been said. I had a GSD who had one fit in her whole life and my current Hound has had 2 in a year.
When they are fitting you need to keep your hands away - they can snap involuntarily - and just keep them safe. When they are finished they can be very disoriented - my Hound doesn`t recognise anyone for half an hour and gets very tense. I don`t think he knows where he is. So we just kept him quiet till he `came round`.
helenrome
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks one and all! I shall get him checked out today! Always a bit of a trauma going to the vet as he doesn't like going eventhough he loves the vet!