Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-12-2010, 10:47 PM

15 week old puppy and new baby, advice needed plz

Hey everyone, need some advice about how to settle a puppy around a new born baby, my best friends have just had a baby and they spend alot of time around our house, we have introduced the puppy to the baby and let him have a sniff of her while she was in the car seat, problem is he was quite boistreous and jumping around alot, we would never leave him alone with her anyway but we just want him to get used to her and be a little less boistreous while she is around, also my girlfriend was gettin the babies coat on and he came over and tried to pull her scratch mit off her hand, luckily her fingers wasnt at the end so he only grabbed the material, any advice greatly appreciated, thanx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Use baby gates to keep them separate. A puppy needs to learn bite inhibition well before being allowed contact with a baby. Basically - you have 2 babies but one has teeth!.
I`d advise getting a good puppy training book (not Cesar Milan) and also this one: Your Dog and Your Baby: A Practical Guide by Silvia Kent (it`s on Amazon).
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Use baby gates to keep them separate. A puppy needs to learn bite inhibition well before being allowed contact with a baby. Basically - you have 2 babies but one has teeth!.
I`d advise getting a good puppy training book (not Cesar Milan) and also this one: Your Dog and Your Baby: A Practical Guide by Silvia Kent (it`s on Amazon).
I can't repeat what has already been said.

In addition to what CAD said try giving him a toy to play with so he is distracted away from the baby's clothing - he most likely thought it was a game. Or if you put baby gates up - he is occupied rather than whining because you are giving attention to the baby instead of him.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-12-2010, 10:58 AM
cheers guys thanx for the advice. will be ordering some books and take some good advice from them, i explained to the missus to include and not leave him out as he'd be more determined to get attention whichever way he could. maybe while baby is here i would play with him and then the missus could take over so then he know's he's still getting attention and not being excluded.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Marc you may find this Dogsey article of interest ..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=10261hildre
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 12:16 PM
The trouble is - most of these articles are about introducing a mature dog and the OP has a puppy. Which complicates things a bit.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I can only second the advice of a dog gate, I also think a crate would be useful. Both these things mean the puppy is nearby but unable to get to the baby, and then only let the puppy into the room when calm.
Mainly teaching the puppy consequences too, they need to learn self restraint.
Good luck
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-12-2010, 11:16 AM
thanx peeps for all your help and advice. my friend came round yesterday and he was much better, and also listened to the sit lie down commands, if and when he gets to much then we'll remove him to another room. but myself i think they came the first time when he was in hyper mode (his hour of silly play) but will keep peeps updated on his progress and other problems that might arise. but so far impressed with how quick he learns. also going to get some books mentioned and have a read of them.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
thanx peeps for all your help and advice. my friend came round yesterday and he was much better, and also listened to the sit lie down commands, if and when he gets to much then we'll remove him to another room. but myself i think they came the first time when he was in hyper mode (his hour of silly play) but will keep peeps updated on his progress and other problems that might arise. but so far impressed with how quick he learns. also going to get some books mentioned and have a read of them.
You do have a very intelligent cross - they learn quick and rotties are said to be typically a one man dog, Bull mastiffs are known to be family dogs as are rotties so as long as you go about it and follow advice and keep up on the training - your dog will be an all rounder
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >