Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Can you practice in the house calling him to you then when he comes he doesn't get the treat until you have your hand in his collar? Then you touching and holding his collar does not mean that fun stops etc? I do remember Molly driving me to distraction at that age and she is the same cross as Jake.
that’s a good idea, his recall in the house is great but hadn’t thought of touching his collar… although, because he is so uninterested in treats outside, not sure if he would listen… will give it a try though. Anything is worth a shot.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hi Lozzi, believe me the amount of times I have walked back from the park, in or close to tears is numerable over the last 7 years !!

If I was you, I would get a long training line ( cheaper online) and keep him on that - it still gives him freedom in the park but it allows you to practice his recall with distractions and if he still doesnt come back then at least you have the upper hand as you have the lead !!!

Good luck , and dont be down honestly we have all been there - some numerous times !!!!!
Thanks, I have a long line just now (it’s the halti double ended one) so think I will just be keeping him on that… ive tried practicing recall with that, and for a while he will come back but after he gets onto a good scent, he doesn’t care anymore.

Ive been close to tears a few times before, but this time I just felt like such a failure and was so frustrated I just couldn’t help but cry…

Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Don't despair...many of us know exactly waht you are going through, it can be tough having a dog who can be wilful. Don't blame yourself too much either. Even when you are doing everything right things can still go wrong. Next time will be better. Chin up.
thanks, he certainly is wilful. When I had my old boy, sam, he was the total opposite. He listened to every word that he was told, no matter where he was or the situation… jake doesn’t…

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
You just need to train him, Hes not naughty he just dosent understand clearely. are you going to classes?
I know I do, but its not as simple as that. I have been trying. He did go to classes, but because of work I haven’t been able to take him coz I work the same time it is on.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Thats a pain about work, is there anyone near you who gives private lessons? ask at the club you were going to if any one there gives private lessons. You prob will only need a few to show you some techniques/ put you on the right path etc
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:59 PM
How Far is East Kilbride from you?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Hey chin up!!!! He's just an adolescent lad! It's all two steps forward one step back (sometimes three!) at this age. It's not you, you're doing your best - it's just horrid hormones!!!!
thanks… I do feel its three steps back just now…

Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
EVERY dog owner has experienced this - accept you had a crappy walk and move on

Do you go to obedience classes??????????
Thanks, he used to go to classes but they are on the same time I work, so haven’t been able to take him sadly. I keep wanting to take him back but its just trying to get the time off.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh dear, nothing like a rotten walk to spoil your day. Please don't think that you have the only dog with 'problems', as I assure you are not!

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I remember when my Lab was young just DREADING taking him for a walk. He was just a total nightmare. He is no angel now (still humps other dogs, despite being corrected for it for most of his near 7 years, and occasionally and much to my embarrassment barks at people) but is very much controllable. I never thought I would use the words 'very controllable' when describing him, if you reversed time back to his youth!

I agree with those that have suggested you try a long line or something with Jake. Might build up your confidence a bit. You could also try introducing a whistle for recall. Dogs learn that your commands are without any follow through if you persistently use them yet don't take any action. Basically, they can become deaf to the sound of you calling them, which is why you shouldn't command them if you can't enforce it. I find the whistle to be more effective than voice for recall, especially if they are rewarded handsomely (with an extra tasty treat) EVERY time they come to it without fail.
Thanks. He will definitely be going back to the long line. I know what you mean about them becoming deaf when you cant enforce the command, and I think that is what is happening to him… my bf gave me a whistle that he had for his dog, so think I will have to dig that out and start using that.

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
{{hugs}} Lozzi ....i have been in tears with my sibes many a time,its all part of the learning/bonding curve believe me.Jake is a intelligent teenager he is testing his boundaries,mind u i would of had a hard time calling Tupac off from food im sure
just a thought tho,many dogs like treats indoors but are just not that rewarding whilst out so maybe toys and a long line might be the way to go? maybe not only concentrate on the recall but an 'instant down' can be a very usefull tool,and alot of dogs find it exciting to learn,that and a 'watch me' command.
thanks. I have tried toys, but the only one he is interested in is his ball launcher. That gets him back near me, but I cant get him to come close enough to get him on his lead. although it has been good to distract him, so he doesn’t go off chasing other dogs…

he is good when I call though, that he comes near me. But he wont come close enough for me to get him on his lead, I call him even when im not going to put his lead on though to get him used to it, but its like he knows where to be to stay just out of my reach. and if I try to approach him, he makes a game out of it. and if a dog or something interesting is about, he wont listen at all.

Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Of course you're right for him!
No-one else will love him as you so obviously do, or work so hard to get things right.
I'd work first on stopping him pulling hon. In this weather its an almighty blessing my girl doesn't pull - cos I'm so unstable on ice, its untrue.
How have you been training him to walk nicely?
Thanks . Ive been working on his pulling, and he is getting much much better but he does still pull a bit. He has the halti harness that helps, but doesn’t work completely, he can still get a slight pull with it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I know how you feel, I have been there so many times.

I now have a harness and a 15 foot puppy line which is light but strong and I no longer have a dog that circles me just out of reach. I leave it on at all times even when she is playing.

Hugs xx
Thanks, jake has a harness and long line, so will just have to stick him on that from now on… I just hope he doesn’t have to stay on it for the rest of his life…

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Bless ya! *Hugs* I know just how you feel....Don't be too hard on yourself, Jake's a teenager now. He'll settle down soon, I'm sure x
thanks, I hope so… soon…

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oi, you stop talking daft!

Lots of good advice so far.

He's just Jake the Teenager just now, that's all. You're doing your best for him, I'm sure. You come across on here as a very caring, considerate girl with common sense, so please, don't worry......Jake just needs a bit more training and steering in the right direction, even more so at his stage in life just now. He's testing the boundaries to see how far he can push you and sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back.

With consistant, firm but kind training by using positive reinforcement and reward based training you'll get through this stage, I'm certain of it.

How old is he anyway? I'm guessing he's around 8 or 9 months or so?

Do you go to training classes? If not, I suggest you find a good one in your area. Also, keep him on a long line at the park and practice recall with plenty of praise and some high value treats that are used only for this purpose.

How about trying a Halti or CannyCollar for the onlead walking? He'll fight it at first probably but he'll soon get used to it.

You could also teach him to "look" at you...getting him to sit in front of you and rewarding him when he makes eye contact.

It's just a matter of going back to basics a bit.

Please don't worry, they all like to push their luck at times, even the oldies do.
Thanks. He is 9 months just now, nearly 10. we used to go to training classes but cant coz I work the same time they are on sadly. I even asked my boss to work my days around it, and he said he would but he hasn’t… I have a halti harness for him, which he doesn’t mind now. He had a different harness before that, but hated it. will definitely be trying the ‘look at me’ one, think that will be a good one.

Originally Posted by angied View Post
i sort of no how you feel my springer has run off all his life he does eventually come back to me after me sounding like a fishwife calling him or lookinglike a demented woman blowing a whistle when the other 3 take off after him. BUT hes 9 1/2 years old now! i have had a month when his recall has been brillant and hes allowed off lead but after a month he was back to his old tricks! and yes went to training and he was perfect but isnt interested in any food as treats, lets hope yours outgrows this stage
thanks, I hope he grows out of it… I don’t want him to be onlead all the time which he will have to be if he doesn’t improve…
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No other advice to offer except to let you know that I have also been there, done that and guess what, come out the other side smiling ;o)

All is not lost and one of the best things to do is laugh it off as just one of those ''stages'' that they go through that WILL pass xx
Thanks, I cant wait till the day it passes comes…

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
(((Hugs))) Lozzie been there done that. The harness and long line is a good one, Ollie is often left with it just trailing but if I need to stop him quick I can stand on it too stop him in his tracks thats why a harness is a good idea then gather the line to the length I want and can manage comfortably.

It really gives you confidence for recall training.

Ollie is a nightmare when he finds food some neighbors a few doors down leave all sorts out sometimes I can stop him in time other times he beats me too it.. The other day we were road walking and he ate a plastic bag that had at some point had meat in it and the juices were left it was gone before we could stop him. Luckily he is ok but at 31/2 he can still act like a terrible teenager some days.

It does get better but you always have to work with them.
Thanks, I wouldn’t be able to leave the long line trailing, jake is on of those dogs who are off straight away running around the trees etc…

Aw, and norty ollie eating a plastic bag
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:12 PM
How Far is East Kilbride from you?
its about 20 minutes, 40 or so on the bus though.
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh Lozzibear, really, you could have written that description of my Zara. She is exactly the same at the moment and I know how hard it is, really I do.
I'm not sure how old your Jake is, but Zara is 20 months at the moment and is still behaving like a teenager.
The other day, I also went home in tears because Zara had been so naughty (barking, not coming back to me, not listening to me, refusing to get in the car, letting me throw the ball for her but not bringing it back to me etc etc) Although I have been reassured by fellow GSD owners that this is normal until they reach about 2 and a half, I had enough and rang a dog trainer as soon as I came back. Again, I was reassured that this will pass, but I still want to work with her now, so Zara is starting lessons in January, just me, Zara and the trainer so she gets all of the attention she needs. Would this be a possibility for you? I feel like a weight has been lifted since biting the bullet and booking her in for lessons, just knowing that I'll have the support of someone who has been in my position many times gives me some hope for Zara.

Good luck, trust me, you are not the only one with a naughty pup! xxx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
its about 20 minutes, 40 or so on the bus though.

Thats a good Club!!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Zara's_Momma View Post
Oh Lozzibear, really, you could have written that description of my Zara. She is exactly the same at the moment and I know how hard it is, really I do.
I'm not sure how old your Jake is, but Zara is 20 months at the moment and is still behaving like a teenager.
The other day, I also went home in tears because Zara had been so naughty (barking, not coming back to me, not listening to me, refusing to get in the car, letting me throw the ball for her but not bringing it back to me etc etc) Although I have been reassured by fellow GSD owners that this is normal until they reach about 2 and a half, I had enough and rang a dog trainer as soon as I came back. Again, I was reassured that this will pass, but I still want to work with her now, so Zara is starting lessons in January, just me, Zara and the trainer so she gets all of the attention she needs. Would this be a possibility for you? I feel like a weight has been lifted since biting the bullet and booking her in for lessons, just knowing that I'll have the support of someone who has been in my position many times gives me some hope for Zara.

Good luck, trust me, you are not the only one with a naughty pup! xxx
thanks, and lucky you! lol.

jake is 9 months just now, nearly 10. i would love to get private trainer but i just think it would be too expensive...

Thats a good Club!!!!
... whats a good club??
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »