View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:01 PM
{{hugs}} Lozzi ....i have been in tears with my sibes many a time,its all part of the learning/bonding curve believe me.Jake is a intelligent teenager he is testing his boundaries,mind u i would of had a hard time calling Tupac off from food im sure
just a thought tho,many dogs like treats indoors but are just not that rewarding whilst out so maybe toys and a long line might be the way to go? maybe not only concentrate on the recall but an 'instant down' can be a very usefull tool,and alot of dogs find it exciting to learn,that and a 'watch me' command.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Of course you're right for him!
No-one else will love him as you so obviously do, or work so hard to get things right.
I'd work first on stopping him pulling hon. In this weather its an almighty blessing my girl doesn't pull - cos I'm so unstable on ice, its untrue.
How have you been training him to walk nicely?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I know how you feel, I have been there so many times.

I now have a harness and a 15 foot puppy line which is light but strong and I no longer have a dog that circles me just out of reach. I leave it on at all times even when she is playing.

Hugs xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Bless ya! *Hugs* I know just how you feel....Don't be too hard on yourself, Jake's a teenager now. He'll settle down soon, I'm sure x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Oi, you stop talking daft!

Lots of good advice so far.

He's just Jake the Teenager just now, that's all. You're doing your best for him, I'm sure. You come across on here as a very caring, considerate girl with common sense, so please, don't worry......Jake just needs a bit more training and steering in the right direction, even more so at his stage in life just now. He's testing the boundaries to see how far he can push you and sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back.

With consistant, firm but kind training by using positive reinforcement and reward based training you'll get through this stage, I'm certain of it.

How old is he anyway? I'm guessing he's around 8 or 9 months or so?

Do you go to training classes? If not, I suggest you find a good one in your area. Also, keep him on a long line at the park and practice recall with plenty of praise and some high value treats that are used only for this purpose.

How about trying a Halti or CannyCollar for the onlead walking? He'll fight it at first probably but he'll soon get used to it.

You could also teach him to "look" at you...getting him to sit in front of you and rewarding him when he makes eye contact.

It's just a matter of going back to basics a bit.

Please don't worry, they all like to push their luck at times, even the oldies do.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:57 PM
i sort of no how you feel my springer has run off all his life he does eventually come back to me after me sounding like a fishwife calling him or lookinglike a demented woman blowing a whistle when the other 3 take off after him. BUT hes 9 1/2 years old now! i have had a month when his recall has been brillant and hes allowed off lead but after a month he was back to his old tricks! and yes went to training and he was perfect but isnt interested in any food as treats, lets hope yours outgrows this stage
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:00 PM
No other advice to offer except to let you know that I have also been there, done that and guess what, come out the other side smiling ;o)

All is not lost and one of the best things to do is laugh it off as just one of those ''stages'' that they go through that WILL pass xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No other advice to offer except to let you know that I have also been there, done that and guess what, come out the other side smiling ;o)

All is not lost and one of the best things to do is laugh it off as just one of those ''stages'' that they go through that WILL pass xx
with patience,guidance and training.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
with patience,guidance and training.
Yes, quite right although one of the main things I think helped me was to have understanding.

Understand why he is doing it.

Understand what I need to do about it.

Understand that it will pass.

If that makes sense?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-12-2009, 06:14 PM
(((Hugs))) Lozzie been there done that. The harness and long line is a good one, Ollie is often left with it just trailing but if I need to stop him quick I can stand on it too stop him in his tracks thats why a harness is a good idea then gather the line to the length I want and can manage comfortably.

It really gives you confidence for recall training.

Ollie is a nightmare when he finds food some neighbors a few doors down leave all sorts out sometimes I can stop him in time other times he beats me too it.. The other day we were road walking and he ate a plastic bag that had at some point had meat in it and the juices were left it was gone before we could stop him. Luckily he is ok but at 31/2 he can still act like a terrible teenager some days.

It does get better but you always have to work with them.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »