Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Thinking of her and hope she feels better very soon xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
So sorry to hear this about your poor little dog. I had a very similar thing with my youngster when she was a puppy last year, she also went out into the garden and wouldn't come back in, it must have taken us an hour to get her in, and I just knew it was because she felt strange and was shaking. Just like you I rushed her to the vet at almost midnight, the vet thought it could be pancreatitis, and she too just didn't actually know, so gave her two injections, one a painkiller and one a vitamin (that one's quite a common thing to do with things like this, and I thinkit's vitamin K?). The blood tests revealed nothing (they did that immediately coz it's an animal hospital as opposed to a vet), and sent us home. Well, when I got her home, she couldn't move her back legs, and I only managed to get her into our bootroom before she collapsed, with her eyes rolling to the back of her head, she was trembling, oh it was truly awful. Her temperature wasn't that high, about 41 I think (I've had worse!), what was your dog's temperature last night or this morning?

I eventually diagnosed her myself,. and treated her for heatstroke, damped her down with cold, wet towels, phoned the vet again, she said I could bring her in if I liked, but I didn't like, she wouldn't have made it. I never expected her to be here in the morning, but there she was, bright as a button, and to this day, I will never truly know what was going on.

She did have a hernia, and her symptoms to me, were very similar to what you would expect from a strangulated hernia, and I also had her collapse out on a walk, the very same thing, she went like a rag dog on me, gums white, passed out, and I honestly feel, that my problem was that hernia, because since I've had it fixed, touch wood, I've had nothing like this again. Has your mum's dog got a hernia at all?

The reason I treated mine for heatstroke was because of the fact that it had been very hot that day, and she had been running around like a loonie that very evening at 5pm with another puppy, even though this all started at around 9pm that night, I just knew with that panting and sickness and the fact that she wanted to go outside and not come back in that it was something very serious indeed. Do you know if your little dog had been overdoing it running about last night?

Regarding the steroids, I have a dog who has lived on them all of his life, and you have to be so very careful with them when reducing the dosage, i.e. you can't just stop them, you have to reduce from 5 for 2 days, then 3 for 2 days and so on before you can stop, I'm wondering if your mum just stopped them if she ran out, but then maybe your dog was only on 1 a day, but even then, you have to miss a day for 3 days before stopping them completely, you spread them out, but then the vet must have told her that?

What about annual booster injections, has she had those lately, coz it could be a severe reaction to them?

I'm so sorry, I do hope those 2 injections saved the day like they did for my puppy and he'll pick himself up again quickly. All the best with her, it can't have been nice watching her like that, I've been there myself.
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2010, 02:28 PM
on behalf of me, ali and of course my mum and bonnie thank everyone for your kind words and thoughts...

Helena54, thanks so much for your post. It really helps to hear someone has suffered something similar. Although ofcourse I would never wish this on anyones poor doggy

My mum think one of the jabs was a vitamin but not sure what the otherone was - i dont think she was taking it all in this morning,.

Ive jusr spent a few hours with Bonnie. Her body is shaking as she breathes in and out and she has got little energy and her legs almost going beneath her. she is having a few laps of water but brough it back up

Mum says she was running around yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. I did have my pup round the day before and they were playing for almost an hour but she was fine for the 24 hours after that...do you think that could have anything to do with it?

I am so worried she keeps going outside and trying to hide.
ive just spent the last 2 hours rubbing her head which sent her off to sleep; just trying to relax her a bit

the vet didnt know whats caused it, but she has been ravenously hungry because of the steroids and the vet seems to think she has picked something up thats not agreeing with her.

The vet said to bring her in tomorrow if no improvement, but Im going to suggest to mum she take her in this evening after work if theres no change.

It so hard to know what to do for the best

Poor little thing Ive never seen her like this

Thanks again everyone. If you could send her dogsey get well vibes ....

xxxxxx
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Sorry Helena54 I forgot to say, her temperature this morning was just the high side of normal, nothing too bad

also theres been no mention of a hernia - how would you know if she had one?

Did you not take oyur pup back after the jabs then, you say you just kept her cool?

Thanks again

xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Katandcolin, after reading your latest posts, poor little bonnie doesn't sound too good at all does she I think you're right, get her back into the vets, at least they can monitor her and keep her fluids up, they will obviously put her on a drip straight away. I don't like the sound of the way she's collapsing with her legs and still trembling. As you know, trembling CAN be a sign of the body desperately trying to fight and keep the vital organs going, I know coz I've had it myself (had that anaphylaxis shock!).

The hernia is something they are born with, which would be a lump in the middle of her abdomen. A lot of people just leave them alone, but most people will have them dealt with when they get their dog speyed. Although my vet said it couldn't have been a strangulated one because it's just fat with no blood vessels, I beg to differ on that, coz I read up on strangulated hernias and that's what made me think it could have been that.

That awful night was not because of her jabs, it was the heat and running around, really fast running, exerting herself to the point of her making noises, and I swear to this day, it stretched and trapped some blood vessels in her hernia.

The jabs, well, we had that bit as well The very day after her 2nd jab she was not right at all, she couldn't get comfortable, kept moving from one spot to another in her bed, she was trembling, she was panting, so I rang the vet, and got told not to worry coz this sometimes happens 24 hours after a jab, and that is why I asked you about bonnie.

What about your own puppy, had he/she just had jabs? I'm just wondering whether you mentioned to your vet that they had been playing together, because you never know, it could point them somewhere (anywhere would be good at the moment wouldn't it!). When dogs have their jabs, they actually emit the very diseases that they have just been vaccinated against, strange but true, so if bonnie isn't vaccinated, or whatever, than maybe, just maybe she might have picked something up from your pup? Just make sure the vet knows that she was playing with your puppy yesterday, coz this did start last night didn't it.

A 4 year old dog isn't the type to pick things up it shouldn't surely? Maybe she scavenges? Does she eat slugs and snails? What about those horrible mushrooms that are popping up all over the place after all that heat and then the rain?? Have you checked out your garden? It could be something like that, so again, please mention it to the vet, just ask him if he thinks it could be a mushroom, slug or snail.

Please, please keep us informed, I would love to see another post that she's been diagnosed and cured, this must be so awful for you. Good luck, and I mean that!!!
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I second that, Please let us know the outcome. we're worried for you. Hope it all come out right. (((Hugs)))
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Poor little dog, this is so worrying for all of you. I do hope that there is a happy outcome.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I hope your little dog is soon feeling better. Have had similar experience with my dog, it has we think been as a result of her eating something she shouldn't have. Sending get well soon thoughts
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts.

Unfortunately its bad news.

I cant bear to go into it right now but out beautiful girl was PTS last night

We are all in complete shock and cant stop crying as I write this

i hope she knew how much she was loved, she was truly a special girl

Only came on becuase i didnt want you all to keep writing in becuase its too hard to read.
I hope when this pain subsides will be back on then i can remember her for the most brilliant dog she was.

again thanks from ali and I for your thoughts.

xxxxxxxx
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
My heart goes out to you and your family.

RIP little one over the bridge.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >