Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dstone84
New Member!
Male 

28-02-2015, 03:35 PM

What Kind of Breed Am I??

Can anyone help me identify what kind of breed this dog is from the shelter? The shelter said it is a mixed black lab but not sure what it is mixed with. It is mostly all black with a little shades of tan on his neck (very little). Also bottom of his paws are white. Any chance it is a pure bred black lab?

mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2015, 03:59 PM
I guess this is the dog you're adopting. If he's the age you said he is, there is a chance he's pure, but looking at his ears and structure, I'd say mix. Perhaps Labrador and pit bull? Very common around these parts, often known as "pitadors".
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Pure bred Labs only come in solid colours ... yellow, chocolate and black. Very rarely you'll find a dilute chocolate (lilac) or silver.

I would say he's a Lab mix, maybe as has already been suggested, crossed with a Pit Bull or even a Staffie.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Not exactly true about the labs. Blacks can often have itsy bits of white and still be pure. It's a fault, but doesn't mean the dog is mixed. But several things about this dog spell mixed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Not exactly true about the labs. Blacks can often have itsy bits of white and still be pure. It's a fault, but doesn't mean the dog is mixed. But several things about this dog spell mixed.
No they can't. if a lab has any white on it , there will be another breed in its linage somewhere.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Wrong. A Labrador with a white spot is faulted and DQ for shows, but when bred with litters of pure bred puppies (happens fairly often) can still be registered and is still pure bred. Red fox types often have this white, as well. Oh, and cite away... and I will, too.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Never an easy question, but with what you describe might your pup be mostly lab with just a touch of rottie thrown in somewhere for good measure. This could account for the tan shading and also skull shape. Hope this gives food for thought but without the benefit of a DNA test (which are prohibitively expensive) there's not really a way of knowing for sure. Looks like a lovely pup, whatever his origins. Good luck with him.