Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hugo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Skinners salmon smelling like paint VS pets at home food

The dry food I feed Hugo is Skinners Salmon and rice, I got two bags a month or so ago, finished the first and on opening the second it smelt like paint, I took the bag back and got it replaced as well as getting one more so I have an opened one and one to use after, used the first one again and yup, opened the second one and that bag smelt like paint, Messaged Skinners and they have said sorry and sent out a replaced bag, but they also said not to worry about the smell it wont have any ill effects on feeding (in not even going to try feeding this) they say its the sunflower braking down.

what is peoples thoughts on the pets at home food? salmon and potato.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi Hugo is that the Wainwrights..

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...mon-and-potato

I have heard some good reports from uses and the reviews above seem positive...
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2015, 11:31 AM
I feed Skinners Duck and Rice - have never had any problems - the dogs love it and do well on it. Where do you store the bags - is it too warm ? - Needs to be cool place.

Thalice's Mum
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I feed Ferguson's salmon and potato. Get it online. Very good. Better ingredients than vets kitchen.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
The dry food I feed Hugo is Skinners Salmon and rice, I got two bags a month or so ago, finished the first and on opening the second it smelt like paint, I took the bag back and got it replaced as well as getting one more so I have an opened one and one to use after, used the first one again and yup, opened the second one and that bag smelt like paint, Messaged Skinners and they have said sorry and sent out a replaced bag, but they also said not to worry about the smell it wont have any ill effects on feeding (in not even going to try feeding this) they say its the sunflower braking down.

what is peoples thoughts on the pets at home food? salmon and potato.
I live close to a huge lake. We eat alot of fish. sometimes we catch more than we can eat.
I have smelled that paint or varnish smell wafting from some of the fish that were left exposed to a certain temperature after they had been frozen. I think it has something to do with the fatty acids/omega 3-6-9's. I havent noticed any ill effects in any of my dogs. actually t dogs are very healthy..
I haven't eaten any of the fish that smell like that.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2015, 08:31 PM
My dog does well on Wainwright's Salmon & Potato from Pets @ Home. I just ordered 2 15kg bags online & got 20 per cent off.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2015, 04:00 AM
Hugo, if you have any doubts about the food, you're right, DON'T give it to your dog. If it smells funny to you, it probably is funny, and not funny ha-ha, no matter what they say. You were right to keep it back. Certainly contact them about the issue-- they should recompense you. You can't give food that smells like paint to anybody! And why on earth does it smell like paint anyway? That is not a normal food smell.

We do buy our food from Pets At Home: James Wellbeloved. Never had a paint smell issue.