Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Wysiwyg

The pups were put to sleep by the vet, who apparentely condoned his actions.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Dawn, sorry to ask again but how did your friend cull the pups? I imagine he would have done it himself?
Its ok, I did say earlier Wysiwig, he explained his reasons to the vet and he PTS for him.

Megan.
For what its worth I agree with your reasons for NOT breeding, I have been showing and working dogs for 18yrs and never bred a single one. But for other people its their choice.
Dawn.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Dawn
I appreciate its about choice and you have your reasons for not breeding after 18 years which is why I find it hard you respect what your friend did.
If a friend of mine did this, yes they have a choice but I would still put my opinion to them and quite honestly question whether I would want such a person for a friend. Sorry, not getting at you. Just my view which I feel strongly about.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Sounds to me like he couldn't be bothered with the responsibility of raising a litter more like. If he works his dogs he would know other people where he could of got a puppy or indeed as you mention the Lurcher rescue rather than putting his bitch through a pregnancy and loss of her pups for his own selfish sake
Well said :smt023
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Dawn
I appreciate its about choice and you have your reasons for not breeding after 18 years which is why I find it hard you respect what your friend did.
If a friend of mine did this, yes they have a choice but I would still put my opinion to them and quite honestly question whether I would want such a person for a friend. Sorry, not getting at you. Just my view which I feel strongly about.
The world isnt just about me megan or you, I did tell him my thoughts and the fact I couldnt of done it, but it wasnt my choice, nor my decision to make. I respect his opinion as I do yours or anyone elses, we all make choices that others may not agree with. I never said I respect what he did, I said I respected the fact he took the responsibilty of the puppies he bred upon himself, that, it has to be said is far more than hundreds of so called "respectable" breeders do!
Dawn.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I understand the theory behind it, what I dont agree with is the need to cull puppies you produce the best and worst as you say and just cull the worst and keep the best, I see how this improves the breed in general but who gives you the right to play god, and knowingly producing 'the worst' and culling them is animal cruelty in my book! I respect your right to your own views and opinions I just dont agree with them!
Also well said :smt023
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Borderdawn can you give us the details of the vet who did this? I feel strongly he should be reported to the RVC
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
For what its worth I agree with your reasons for NOT breeding, I have been showing and working dogs for 18yrs and never bred a single one.
Good on you :smt023
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Dawn, I respect you for saying what you believe but have to disagree that it was responsible for your friend to do what he did...

I take it the breeding of his lurcher was intentional? Do lurchers tend to have large or small litters, or does it vary?

Only surely he knew he was going to have to cull a lot of puppies simply because he selfishly wanted some from this bitch - it really doesn't sit right with me. I can see why you feel he is responsible, I do understand in a way - but I strongly disagree

As CumbrianLass says, the truly responsible thing to do was just to not breed his lurcher in the first place. Another would be to have homes ready and to provide lifelong back up and help and willingness to take dogs back at any stage in their life.

Do you know how he culled them? Please don't say he drowned them ...

I have been too incensed and sickened to post until now and will let your words speak for me in the main as they are calmer than anything I could say right now. I`ve had bad dreams all night because of it.
I`m sickened to the core not only that this vile person

a] deliberately bred a litter without ensuring there was a waiting list for *all* potential pups *first*

b] bred longdogs which usually have large litters

c] bred longdogs when rescues are overflowing with longdogs and lurchers already

d] bred with such a cavalier throwaway attitude which is selfishness in the extreme

e] is publicly supported in his heinous action on a site which is for dog *lovers* when he should have been beaten with a large stick and made to face up to his responsibility of keeping or paying for the upkeep of all the pups he was responsible for creating if only as an expensive lesson to him for his disgraceful and sickening stupidity and inhumanity

Too angry to say anything else, I don`t trust myself not to say what I really want to say [ and which is probably what most people are thinking anyway so I doubt I need to say it ]
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
Borderdawn can you give us the details of the vet who did this? I feel strongly he should be reported to the RVC
So do I [ assuming you mean the RCVS ].
All this vet has done is condone and support the actions of an irresponsible and utterly unethical breeder, giving that person license to do it again, and again, and again.
This vet [ going by information supplied here ] is as complicit in what amounts to a slaughter as the vile breeder himself imo.
Page 6 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »