Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Can i give my dog a duck bone?

As per the title can i give my 4 and a half month old puppy a duck bone or is it not wise to give young dogs bones??
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I've never heard of duck bones lol.

If they are little, supervise VERY closely!! IMO you are better giving it raw as they will crumble, and not splinter, but as long as you keep a very close eye on the bone if it is a small one (or a big one really), it should all be grand
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:23 PM
It's a quarter leg bone and it is cooked. Probably should have put that in my first post!!

He'll be supervised if he does end up having it but I just wasn't sure if dogs should be of certain age/size before having bones. I wasn't sure if his digestive system would cope or not.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I personally won't feed cooked bones, but people differ with that.

It is up to you really. If your dog hasn't had bones before, it will probs upset their tum a little bit, but that is normal as their system isn't used to it.

I have heard of whole ducks (plucked and de-headed/de-footed) being fed to dogs who are fed on raw food, so I can't see there being a problem.

Just be super careful with splintering of the bone.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Most bones are fine raw but NEVER cooked.

Cooking makes bones splinter and therefore much more likely to cause problems like perforating the stomach/bowel etc.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. Decided not to give him the bone in the end after Reading the above post!! I'm going to call in at the butchers tomoro and get him some raw bones as a treat.