Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TOPPER
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:59 PM

Yeast ear infection

Hi!

My 13 and a half year old westie is really going through the mill at the moment. She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and as a result has developed cataracts so her sight is failing. To add insult to injury, she has started with a yeast infection in her right ear which is causing her some discomfort. We have been to the vets who advised against ear drops due to the fact Millie is so confused at the minute plus she has never ever liked people going near her ears due to skin problems she had in that region as a younger dog. She is allowing me to stroke the inside of her ear so i was wondering if anybody had any advice on a)how to clean the ear and b)any cream I could use to ease the symptoms?

She has been started on antibiotics for the problem but have read that they are unlikely to work due to the infection not being bacterial. I have also read cleaning with a diluted white vinegar solution and have also read that something like nystatin cream or cotrimazole cream (similar to canestan) may help????? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't risk giving you any advice - ears are such a delicate organ......
Hope your dog feels better soon

Hugs x
drmark
New Member!
Male 

06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
wash/flush the ears with white vinegar and water in a 50/50 solution. there are medications for the ear that should be prescribed by your doctor
for example, conofite
dr mark
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Shamus recently had a Yeast ear infection and the vet prescribed Surolan drops which cleared it up. However a friend`s poodle had a similar problem and that was quite resistant. They tried several treatments before finding the right one. What she found helped was having his heavy ear Fur clipped to keep the ears cool (poodles have such a thick coat) . I`ve always been advised not to meddle with a dogs ears, as it`s easy to make the problem worse, so I`d discuss it with your vet if I were you.