Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kaiblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 01:14 PM

inside or outside?

i have a query,
of my three dogs 2 have a kennel and run outside (nice big kennel with draft prof dog door and a big comfy bed inside & the run has a roof and a wind block at one end) and the other dog (penny who is 100 years old) lives inside.

now my problem is the pup.
hes a 6 week old husky x GSD and hes lived inside so far (with his mum and litter mates at his first home) but now hes with me i dont know who to put him with when im not there, i thought leaving him indoors with penny would probably be best untill he gets a little bigger BUT penny is my crazy lady ( i rescued her about 2 years ago, shes not got great vision or hearing, she a little grumpy, she freaks out at lound noises and the worst habbit she has is barking, she has seperation issues and barks for about 10 mins when left alone, spray anti-bark colars dont work and i cant try anything stronger as she has a bad heart)

obviousley i want the pup to grow up with good manners etc like kai & alf so im worried about him picking up bad habbits from penny do you think he would be ok outside with the well behaved dogs????

let me know.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
6wks is quite young for him to be away from his mum and litter siblings!!..
I wouldn't put him outside.. You could try crating him inside that way he is safe and can't get up to anything..
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
6 weeks old is definitely too young to be away from his mum and siblings, let alone being put outside, especially as he's not used to it.

He should still be with mum, all snug and warm.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't leave him loose with any other dog if you are not there. Even if they all get on really well it is very easy for a bigger, stronger dog to accidentally hurt such a young pup.

I personally would use a crate indoors and in a different room to your old dog so that the pup is not going to join in with the separation barking that your older dog does.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 01:54 PM
again, I have to agree with the other, 6 weeks is extremely young for a pup to be away from its mother, So I would suggest keeping him in until he is old enough to cope with outdoor life
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
I wouldn't leave him loose with any other dog if you are not there. Even if they all get on really well it is very easy for a bigger, stronger dog to accidentally hurt such a young pup.

I personally would use a crate indoors and in a different room to your old dog so that the pup is not going to join in with the separation barking that your older dog does.
This is what I would do too - or fix a baby gate to the kitchen door and leave him in there with a bed and a stuffed kong or similar to keep him amused while you are out.
kaiblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 02:26 PM
i agree about his age, we picked him out a couple of weeks ago and we were not due to pick him up untill the last week in November but the breeders was having some problems with the mum and asked us if we could take him early, we only agreed becauce gaz is off work at the moment (using up his holidays before the end of the year) so he can look after him all day for the next 2 weeks!

good idea about the crate though, cheers :smt001
kaiblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2006, 02:29 PM

the man in question!!!!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-11-2006, 03:09 PM
He is gorgeous. I have to agree with the others too young to go outside. I would crate him indoors if he has to be left thus keeping him away from your old bitch and also out of harms way as they can get up to all sorts including chewing through electrical wiring and you do no want to take the chance of him being electrocuted. I wish you success with your puppy and enjoy him cause they grow up too quickly.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 03:19 PM
As said above. Crate train if you cannot safeproof the house or a stair gate in the right place. If you want him to go outside next year. Do it when the weathers warmer and he's older. You may find as the others are outside he will want to be with them. Or on the otherhand take over the kitche as his own
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >