View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dapuppy
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 06:41 PM

Puppy won't potty inside the playpen. Help needed !

Hi everybody,

I adopted one of the most adorable creatures on this planet exactly 7 days ago. No excessive whining, no yelling, no screaming and crying all night long. This puppy is unbelievable !!! The problem is:
When it comes to ''his business'' he simply wont do it inside the playpen which is actually quite large for him. He does a pretty good job waiting to go outside. He's even going on a pad when I'm with him inside the house. From what i understand, he's is considering the entire space of the playpen as his bedroom even though he used to potty on a pad ( inside a playpen ) before i adopted him. For most people it's the ideal situation but what if he stays alone for a long period of time? He needs to be able to alleviate himself. That's why i need a solution for the problem...
What can i do in this case ?
He is about 2.5 months old...

Thank you !
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2016, 07:02 PM
How long is 'a long period of time'?

If just a few hours, he should be fine provided he can go out as soon as you come home to relieve himself
dapuppy
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your reply Chris.
I'm talking about 8 hours plus...
My wife is usually at home in the morning and I'm in the afternoon though sometimes ( like today ) we are both out and my soon too...
russhw
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 08:47 PM
when your home i wouldn't encourage him to go in the house puppys are work the best thing to do at that age as much as possible bring him to the door and say bathroom and bring him out to go where you want him to go if he like my boy they always have something to squeeze out
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2016, 08:53 PM
8 hours is too long to leave alone at that age. Do you just leave his food down throughout the day? At that age pups should be fed four times a day. I doubt he could hold it for 8 hours so if he's confined to the playpen he'll have no alternative but to go as they usually go after eating.
dapuppy
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Yeah, he eats 4 times a day... Like in the morning, then around 12, 5pm and 8-9 pm
I was just wondering if i could just leave him all day inside the pen to see if he would eventually give up and do his thing...
dapuppy
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by russhw View Post
when your home i wouldn't encourage him to go in the house puppys are work the best thing to do at that age as much as possible bring him to the door and say bathroom and bring him out to go where you want him to go if he like my boy they always have something to squeeze out
Im already training him to go on command though the fact that he doesn't go inside the playpen worries/intrigues me quite a bit...
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Is there anyone you can ask to call in, give him his dinner and allow him to go outside for a while to toilet and stretch his legs?

That is the ideal solution if you can manage it
russhw
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2016, 10:15 PM
you dont want him to go to the bathroom in your house on purpose do you? if your encouraging it now he will do it as an adult dogs dont pee in their dens you want to make your house their den a little bit at a time give them a little more freedom as they get older
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Would you like to mess in your playpen?????
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >