Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Best way to get into showing?

I'm looking to get a Boerboel bitch, and want to get into showing with her. I know it's highly unlikely for there to be breed classes, but maybe could enter in rare breeds/mastiff classes. I've never done this sort of thing before and haven't a clue how to start! Should I just look around for showing training classes then go from there?

This is thinking way ahead, as it probably won't be for at least a year that we even start looking for a pup (although I plan to use Accolade Boerboels) but I would like to give it a go....any pointers?
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Hiya, try getting your sup into ringcraft/obedience class in your local area. Try your local vets for the phone number of details of classes near you have fun, thats the main thing
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Excellent! I've just moved to a new area so can't go on recommendations...is there anything in particular I should look out for in a good trainer (other than not beating the dogs into submission etc!) like any relevant qualifications?
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 12:48 AM
If it is one to one training you require then if you have a pc maybe you can have a look on there to see what is offered in your area. Try the kennell club to see if they have a list of registered dog trainers maybe. Or again your local vets should have advertisements. Give ringcraft a go, it will give your pup a chance to get used to a wide variety of dogs, will make it easier for you when it comes to showing i think.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 06:49 AM
My little red book is last years and I do not have the current one but I don't think they are on the Imported nor any other Kennel Club list at the present time. That would mean that you would only be able to show at Companion shows. Will do some more checking and see what I can find out and come back to you if I find anything out.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Not a lot to report, unless they are known under a different name, as it does not seem to be registered by the FCI so it is unlikely to be recognised by the KC. There is a club within the UK, but guess you know that. If the showing is important them may be you should consider looking at those mastiffs you would be able to show.
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:01 PM
No they are not KC recognised, they have their own standard as it were...the SABT, to help find quality dogs that have been health scored etc.

May sound dumb here..what are companion shows?

I may be interested in breeding, if I can get an exceptional bitch, which is why I want to get into showing first if at all possible.
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh...whereabouts in Lincolnshire are you by the way Thordell?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:06 PM
South Holland where are you?
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Have no idea where that is! Just moved from Hampshire to Sleaford.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >