Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 05:29 PM

BC Tummy bug/liver problems

Hi All.
Biffters had a tummy bug, Sunday into Monday, he was vomiting and had diarrhea, not waterly, but soft. After a day off food, he was fine, today his poo is almost back to normal.
Mo (our almost 10 year old BC) started with watery diarrhea on Monday night (late) no sickness. It's watery and yellow (not bright, sort of dull yellow). We starved him on Tuesday and most of Wednesday and the frequency of his poos went down (no more than 4 or 5 a day so far). I didn't have any chicken so we gace him a well drained tin of tuna with rice. Today the frequency is up again, the poo is perhaps more orange, hard to tell, still watery but with undigested rice in it (lovely).
Just had him at the vet, who has put him onto metronidazole and wants to see him back on Saturday or Sunday (sooner if he gets worse). He is fairly bright in himself, has some appetite, but it isn't as good as usual. He generally drinks a lot of water, but he hasn't been drinking anywhere near as much as usual.

Any ideas? We assumed originally it was just the same bug as Biff had, but his poo wasn't watery and Mo hasn't been sick. The vet said they couldn't rule out his liver being part of the problem if it continues... I don't know that much about liver problems,still learning and feeling our way with it. Could it be that he has caught the bug, but if his liver isn't working as it should, it's taken more of a hold? Or could it have damaged his liver more???
Thanks in advance, especially if you read all this!!!!!
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Can't help you really, but I'm sure someone will be able to shortly.

Just wanted to say hope Mo is better soon, and it's not liver related, just a bug.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:13 PM
sorry, can't help but it might be a good idea to put him onto a Probiotic too, It's something I have put my dogs on in the past whenever they have had upset tummies, and I put Nell on it a couple of weeks back because she had diarrohea - probabaly from the stress of moving and the change of food because I didn't know what she had been fed on. I know this was a different problem from yours but within three days it was a pleasure to have solid poos to pick up instead of trying to clear up the other mess,and she actually started to look for food. Kath
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks Wanda. Thanks Kath. I was surprised at the meds the vet gave to be honest, especially because when I googled it, it said that the tablets can make liver problems worse...
I thought he may give us some probiotics initially. I am concerned that he was so concerned and has gone for quite an extreme treatment by the looks of things and wants to see him back over the weekend, or sooner if he deteriorates.
Hmmm. The good news is he hasn't had a poo since returning form the vet depsite having his temperature taken when he was there!
Thanks guys.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Sorry I can't be of much help either Ailsa, I do hope everything returns to normal soon and it isn't anything to do with liver problems. If you can get some probiotic yoghurt that may help soothe his tummy, I give that to mine regularly, they love it

Big "get better soon" hugs to them xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks!!!
Seems to be one thing after another at the moment, it always happens like that doesn't it. Poor doggies. Mo is very cuddly tonight too, bless.
Biff is fine now, he has always been a bit prone to vomiting, he'll vomit...then carry on like nothings happened he's always been the ssme! Mo doesn't really get tummy bugs though...poor dog has been confined to barracks since it started too, I don't want to spread any bugs and it would be impossible to clean up.
My main worry is OH saying he's worried. OH never worries....he always tells me I'm being daft.
Still no poo though so fingers crossed. He's had one lot of the tablets.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi Ailsa, I really don't know maybe that he caught the bug but with his liver problems it is just harder for him to get over it?

Aww bless, hugs all round from me and the gang XXXXXXXX
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Kath! I'm hoping that's what it is too, that was certainly my initial thought. Just hoping the other one doesn't get it.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Being yellowish in colour could indicate that it has something to do with the liver. The bile produced by the liver is yellowish in colour which is why your vet may be thinking along those lines. It may be that Mo has just picked up a bug and hopefully that is all it is really hope he is on the mend soon and sorry I can't be of more help
Hugs to you and Mo xxxx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I always notice with people that when a group of people get a stomach bug the ones that vomit get over it quicker and the ones that don't, well the bug seems to stay in their system longer. Perhaps dogs are the same?
(Or am I talking complete nonsense? )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >