Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Rudeness is Contagious

It is a problem seen in offices around the world that even petty behaviour, like leaving someone off an invite to a communal event or spreading rumours, can start the cycle off.

A comment below this article says ..I think that one of the reasons for bad behaviour are the abundance of 'arguing shows' on telly. Think about it, Corrie, Enders, various Housewives of, etc etc all rely on arguing for a storyline and so people pick up on this and think that this is normal behaviour.

Now we know how it starts...how do we stop it!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3tRoLHNgt
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Winding back the clock and teaching respect in schools might be a good start. We had to walk not run in corridors. Open doors for teachers and you would never dream of calling a teacher by their first name.

It's often the little things that can lead to a different outlook
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2015, 01:28 PM
I think we definitely saw a rise in it with the advent of FB, the fact that they encouraged (through closed 'private' groups where anyone could say what they want or gang up on whoever they want) let alone did anything to deter it says a lot about them. Newspapers are also to blame - their constant demonisation and 'picking on' celebs or others just makes people think it's ok.

Of course people have a right to be rude if they want to be but so long as they're not mistaken - that it's not cool.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 02:01 PM
The article was about rudeness in the office I believe and a huge part of that is many Managers these days not having a clue how to manage. It is not ok to give a dressing down in front of colleagues, some things should be done in private. Nor is it ok to issue demands and threats if an employee questions what they have been told to do. There is far too much bullying in the workplace these days resulting in lack of respect.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Great post Trouble. Rudeness in workplace often starts at the top. They ate either setting a bad example or doing nothing to properly manage and supervise others.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2015, 04:05 AM
My last job there was a lot guy that the new ASM took a shine to. Promoted him to a department manager over people who had 5-15 years with the company. You know somebody blacked out his eyes in every picture in the back room. Little ****** you know corporate will spit him out too eventually.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2015, 12:15 AM
In my line of work I find its not my managers or coworkers who are rude but customers, and I'm not being disrespectful or generalising but the most rude ones are older people, they want serving first, hate waiting and think it's ok though talk to me like rubbish. Then other type of rude people are people on the phone. I don't serve them though, I refuse! Don't get many people like that though