Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2006, 03:58 PM

Crying In The Car

Missy cries when we are going anywhere in the car. It's always when I slow down to drive through a town , get stuck in traffic or turn off a main road onto a smaller one. I think it's her anticipating going somewhere interesting. First time I took her to hydrotherapy, she cried a little when I turned off the motorway. The following week , she started before the turn off. Each week , she cries more . On Monday, I had to go to the vet who did her surgery for a post op check. Same direction as the hydro centre BUT 20 miles further on. As we got within a couple of miles of the turn off we take to hydro , she started. She cried even louder when I passed that turn off and didn't stop till we got to the vets.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Aww bless her, must think she's going somewhere fun

Roxy tends to sit up and peer out the window when we slow down or stop

She cried once as a puppy, but I was doing a 2 hour journey so I ignored it and she's never done it since. Now i realise, she probably just needed a wee

But maybe try going on a REALLY long drive so missy will give up whining, realising it wont get her anywhere faster?
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2006, 04:48 PM
It usually takes about an hour to get to hydrotherapy. The journey on Monday took 2 hours 10 minutes. She cried and whimpered most of the way . She got louder when I was near the turn off we normally take to hydro but didn't shut up for the next 20 miles. I've tried ignoring her , telling her off , stopping to let her out , talking to her , singing along with the radio , turning the radio up louder . It just makes no difference. She is a big time attention seeker anyway , but this nonsense in the car is getting beyond a joke. I've even tried going somewhere in the car and just sitting there then going home again. I mean , as far as attention seeking goes , right now , she,s lying beside the fire SHIVERING because I'm ignoring her .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
: It just makes no difference. She is a big time attention seeker anyway , but this nonsense in the car is getting beyond a joke. I've even tried going somewhere in the car and just sitting there then going home again. I mean , as far as attention seeking goes , right now , she,s lying beside the fire SHIVERING because I'm ignoring her .
Hi, I noticed the shivering bit - does she tend to do this a lot? or feel the cold a lot? reason I ask is because some dogs who seem to feel the cold a lot may have a thyroid problem and this can also account for other difficult behaviour.

Do you have a crate? If so, try covering it. It may be the stimulus of what's going on outside which is causing her to make this noise and covering the crate may stop it...
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2006, 05:31 PM
She only shivers when it's really cold outside. We don't have central heating , just a coal fire and I had not long lit it. I was ignoring her just before she sat by the fire and started to shiver. She tends to try all kinds of tricks to get attention , the more I ignore her , the harder she tries . I mean , the other day, I was on here . Missy was trying to get attention and I completely ignored her. She ended up bringing me my car keys, trainers, coat , her lead and an empty carrier bag (Pets At Home), all without being asked ! . She loves going places in the car but just seems to be impatient. It seems similar to a child constantly asking " Are we there yet ? " or "how long will it be now ?" .She does lie and sleep sometimes. I don't have a crate but am thinking of getting one.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
She sounds a right character - I really like dogs like her!

If you do get a crate and cover it, it may solve the problem, or you could try blacking out the windows but not sure how safe that is for you driving...I always like to be able to see all around me.

Another thing to maybe consider is, is she in any discomfort? some dogs with hip or elbow problems may whine and cry although you can usually tell if it's due to excitement or not...

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Does she do it on the way back too?
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2006, 06:11 PM
  • Wysiwyg ; Yes , she is a real character and that's what I love most about her. I rehomed her in January at 18 months old and I get the impression she has been allowed to get away with things. She has calmed down a lot since I got her. She's my first Staffie , and I know they can be a handful but without spoiling her (very big) personality , I have a fairly well trained dog. She's just too clever for her own good and I get the impression that she thinks up new ways to get attention. It can be hilarious with some of the things she does. Her previous owner didn't have a car so she's only been travelling this way since January. She loves the car and will try to get in any car thats door is open ! I get the impression she cries when SHE thinks it's time to get out or is impatient when stuck in slow traffic. She's not in pain , she was just at the vet on Monday. Trouble ; Yes , she does it on the return journey but not as much. Again, it's just when we get stuck in slower traffic.
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
My friends dog does this when he anticipates the turns to the dog club, the fields, the forest, in face anywhere he wants to go or he thinks might be exciting. Providing there is no medical reason then the answer might be to go on lots of little journeys that go nowhere but back home again, the whole time ignoring all her noises and to drive in silence, maybe use a wlakman on low for yourself so the noise isn't too distracting. When she has learned not to whine too much then you can start taking her to nice places but always wait until she is quiet before letting her out of the car. Good luck, if she has done it for a long while it will take alot of journeys to change the habit.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
To be honest it sounds like excitement, she probably associates it with good things and thinks everytime you slow down she is about to have fun or meet new people. My bitch is very vocal in the car but only on the way out, on the way back she is usually too knackered and keeps quiet, it will probably lessen with time and experience. Does she enjoy the hydro therapy it sounds good to me I was thinking of taking mine just for the fun of it. My bitch is also way to clever for her own good and an attention seeker have you considered ear plugs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >