Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kweyhrich
New Member!
Female 

22-12-2016, 03:54 AM

Puppy scared of vet?

I recently adopted a great dane puppy she is currently 10 weeks old, every since I got her she has been super social with people and hasn't shown any fear to other dogs, people loud noises ect, I've taken her in public many times and she has always been comfortable with it. The first time she went to the vet she was perfect and let them give her the shot with no fear. Going back to get her 2nd set of shots was a different story. They had to stick a thermometer up her but and get a poop sample from her, she freaked out and was whining and shaking while they were restraining her and afterwards was hiding behind me and scared to death of the vet tech and the vet. The vet seemed really concerned about her fear and suggested that I get a personal trainer to work with her. After we went out to the waiting room she was running up to everyone all happy and excited wagging her tail ect . I don't know if that incident was something I should be concerned about or it was just normal fear after having those things done to her. Any ideas or suggestions?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I think the issue is the vet, mine doesn't restrain my dogs he makes a big fuss of them, feeds them treats and if any restraining is to be done it would be me doing it while chatting in my happy voice and making a fuss of them.
Also try to distract from her fear rather than pandering to it, which as she was fine back in the waiting room with others it sounds as though you acted appropriately. If you're not happy with the way your vet treats your pet speak up or find another vet.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Definitely the vet.

Think about it, how scared would you be of someone who sticks something cold up your bum without warning? The dog's behaviour seems perfectly reasonable to me.