Our sister sites
Our sister sites
barbella
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Best way for two dogs to meet?

Hi
Please bare with me as I try to sat nav my way through the forum I'm going to meet a potential companion for Tia tomorrow, also a Yorkie and 1yr old next week, Tia my yorkie is 14mnth old.
It's a dog up for rehoming.
Just wondered if anyone has any tips as I'm taking Tia with me, I have asked the owners for us to go on a walk with the dog....anyone have any advice/pointers for me please..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
best way for two dogs to meet
Well they could try lunch first and if they get on they could move on to dinner and a movie ..
barbella
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:48 PM
hmmm thinks saute chicken followed by natural tripe treats then maybe they'd like...Garfield
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by barbella View Post
Hi
Please bare with me as I try to sat nav my way through the forum I'm going to meet a potential companion for Tia tomorrow, also a Yorkie and 1yr old next week, Tia my yorkie is 14mnth old.
It's a dog up for rehoming.
Just wondered if anyone has any tips as I'm taking Tia with me, I have asked the owners for us to go on a walk with the dog....anyone have any advice/pointers for me please..

OK firstly as you probably know already, two dogs on leash may well 'kick off' a bit at first.

So start the walk quickly, with both owners in between the dogs - start walking, don't stand around so the dogs are face to face with lots of eye contact.

Walk at the same pace, and after a bit if all seems to be going well, you could try letting the dogs walk along beside each other.

Or:

If you have a secure garden you could let them have a play off leash - but make sure you are very nearby just in case they do not get on!

Good luck
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Have you also thought that you will need to spend extra time training both your dogs as they're both the same age. You will need to ensure that your new dog focuses on you for instruction and what to do or not do as opposed to following Tia around and not listening to you.

Of course that's assuming everything goes well and you choose to take on the new dog permanently.

My dogs range from 3 1/2 years down to almost 18 months and although things have eased up, it's only recently that I have been able to relax a little bit with training.

Do you have a full history on the new dog? Why is he up for rehoming?

I hope the first meeting goes well for you all. Good luck!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Have you also thought that you will need to spend extra time training both your dogs as they're both the same age. You will need to ensure that your new dog focuses on you for instruction and what to do or not do as opposed to following Tia around and not listening to you.

Of course that's assuming everything goes well and you choose to take on the new dog permanently.

My dogs range from 3 1/2 years down to almost 18 months and although things have eased up, it's only recently that I have been able to relax a little bit with training.

Do you have a full history on the new dog? Why is he up for rehoming?

I hope the first meeting goes well for you all. Good luck!

Just to echo these wise points, do you know why the dog is up for rehoming?

Might be an idea to double check that there are no serious health issues with this dog or behavioural issues that possibly are not obvious at first glance?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I agree with the above. Also I've found that introducing them on neutral territory helps. Good luck with it anyway...hope it all goes well xx